Mail software help

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I am looking for help to basically set up a mail server which will recieve mail for 2 domains and allow people on my LAN to send mail and recieve mail via POP3.

Just wondering what the best set of software to use for this would be? I wanted to use Kerio, but as their software only comes in RPM format, its pretty useless (500 dependency errors) which is annoying as I know how to set it up and its decent software, but anyway.

Any recomendations and help appreciated.

I tried setting up qmail but just ended up only being able to send mail between people on my LAN and also ended up being a broken open relay.

Cheers,
NS

Comments

• -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    you could give good old sendmail a shot. that used to be the defacto standard for what youre trying to do. but qmail is supposed to be the replacment for sendmail so I dont know. there should be a way to compile in support for authenticated smtp in qmail. I know there is in sendmail. If you do that, you can close down the relay completly and people will only be able to send mail once they've authenticated. Just do a google search on "authenticated smtp" and youll get a ton of guides. I know it works with sendmail (thats what I use) and I'm pretty sure theres a way to do it with qmail ( which I havent tried yet). good luck.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Old Thread

I set up Exim a while back, everything is fine apart from aliases arnt working and I cant figure out why, they are specified in the /etc/mail/aliases file (where exim looks) in the alias : actualname format but they just keep bouncing with the message "Unknown user".

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    NS