Pandemic Playtime: Minecraft

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian

With the server currently down, I have two questions:

1. Are you interested in some organized play time for the next few weeks?
  2. Do you know of a good service where we trade dollars for a month of hosting?

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

A Realm is probably the best option for a small group. Java Minecraft servers are expensive for even small amounts of players
    to have a good experience.

I personally spent a lot of time tweaking our server to optimize it for even the small hand full of players we would have online at one time.

Realms are hosted for the Bedrock edition of Minecraft, so to seasoned Java players there will be some differences, but mainly in the way redstone operates. Hope that info is helpful.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

@DontCallMeKelso still have access to a free server?
    I offer my services to coordinate and lead a dragon and/or wither run if that is of interest.
    -Digi

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

They have Realms for Java, up to 10 concurrent player, for $8/mo which seems like a no-brainer to me. Would this be a start-over? Does anyone mind?

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

It would be a start over. I don't believe my server is compatible with anything other than PaperMC with a ton of work.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Oh, um, I switched the server for the TF2 server, I can probably reach out and switch it again, or ask to add a MC server. I just need to know which people would rather have going if I can only maintain one.

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

We currently have an active TF2 server separate from yours, so MC would probs be better for now.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

If I can get a 2nd server, I think you guys should kill the TF2 server you're paying for.

I reached out and asked, one of two things is gonna happen, either theyre gonna realize my account has been free for a decade, or they'll switch it up. Yes, I've had the ability to have a free server of whatever I want for a decade.

I have a concern about the labor overhead of going the free route. I'd rather not sign anyone up for a bunch of server maintenance and have no recourse for dealing with issues other than "wipe the server and try again" which seems to be the GameServers company mantra.

FWIW, I only bought a month of TF2 and wasn't planning to renew it beyond the current quarantine situation. It's also $23/mo, as opposed to a $8/mo Minecraft server.

There's no overhead going the free route, I've been half taking care of the servers and whoever wants to can also do so. We can keep these going as long as we want. GameServers' minecraft servers are more expensive than 8/mo. I mean, if you don't want to go the free route, thats fine. But it's an option and I'd rather actual use the ability to have a free server than have you or anyone else shell out X amount of money over time for these servers.

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

@Linc why arent we using the tf2 server more then if its costing 23$ a month? Using it once a week seems kind of minimal

DontCallMeKelso
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Go ahead. Feel free to rally the troops and get games going. It doesn't require us!

MrTRiot
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2020

Someone wants to play more TF2?!

Just to put it out there, the gameplay / mechanic differences between Bedrock Edition and a Java Edition is significant. Enough so that I am significantly less interested in playing bedrock.
    -Digi

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

@primesuspect who am I going to mow down with my heavy if you're not playing?!

why arent we using the tf2 server more then if its costing 23$ a month? Using it once a week seems kind of minimal

That's like saying why don't we stay in the movie theater for 8 hours if we paid $23 for these tickets. It was worth it to me to drop $23 for 4 nights of TF2 without having to worry about trolls and weird server settings. That was the entire math equation.

MrTRiotStraight_Man

I can switch servers to a minecraft server if wanted, just let me know. @BobbyDigi @Linc @Sonorous

Switched the server to minecraft, those of you who want to "run" it, hit me up and i'll give you the info for it.

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2020

@DontCallMeKelso I'm down for it, in-game name is geeklimit

We're not planning on using this as a long time build server for now. We will be doing events and likely starting over each time to allow for everyone to be on the same level and work towards a goal. First event will be a Dragon run tomorrow. I will hammer down details and update here, on the calendar and in #Cubeshens on Discord.
    Mine on!
    -Digi

Saturday 3/28 5P/6M/7C/8E - Dragon Rush
    We'll be starting up a fresh map, randomish seed (I'm going to go through some seeds beforehand) and then we'll go at it. We'll work together to gear up, track down a Stronghold, and beat up a Dragon! (or 2?)
    All skill levels welcome. If you like to build, we'll need shelter. If you like to mine, we'll need materials. If you like to adventure into danger, we'll need hard to get stuff.
    I'll be on early setting up, getting people connected so send me your in-game name and/or hop on early so we can make sure you're in the fray!

This will be on a new server provided by the lovely Don'tCallMeKelso. Java Edition Minecraft is required.
    Note this is not meant as a long term building map. That doesn't mean we won't build cool stuff, it just means we won't build "It took me 10 weeks to build" cool stuff.
    -Digi

TiberiusLazarus
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian

server info?

Anyone interested in joining, please start gathering in Discord.
    -Digi

Minecraft update: We didn't make it to the dragon.... yet! There is a little work left to do (which will be done by tomorrow) and then we're gathering at 11P/2E to go after the dragon. Please feel free to join us even if you didn't make it today!
    -Digi

Linc

Dragon down!
    Great Job Everyone!
    -Digi

primesuspectGnomeQueenRyderLinc

Hey, Let's go on an adventure tomorrow!
    Saturday 4/4 5P/6M/7C/8E
    If you're not on the white list already and plan to participate, get me your in-game name please :)
    -Digi

Icrontic Threat of Night
    A great threat looms over the world. It is forever dark. Monsters seem to appear from nowhere. An unknown force is causing powerful enemies from outer worlds to show up abnormally. A feeling is there, a power that has never been seen in any realm. They are coming. You must protect Ivan's treasure.
    How can you help? Log in and help build a keep. Defend the world with your lives!
    Saturday 4/4 5P/6M/7C/8E
    -Digi

...The Spawn will be coming.

primesuspect

I can not express how excited I am for this. As I lay in bed a couple nights ago I had the idea. Then I could not sleep planning it out in my head. I spent the next morning and most of my free time since building the map.
    This Saturday 4/11 5P/6M/7C/8E we will be playing...
    Werewolf in Minecraft
    I am creating the map from scratch. We'll log in, I'll give some quick instructions then we'll start making completely unfounded accusations at each other.
    As of now I believe there will be a need for PMs in Discord as part of the game. Please make sure we are friends on Discord by clicking on my name, click on my avatar and if there is a green "Send Friend Request" button, click on it. If it says "Send Message", you're already all set.
    I hope to see you there, Dis gun be gooood!
    -Digi

primesuspectcolaLinc