Time to say goodbye to the Phenom II and finally upgrade

2»

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2020

Prices have dropped some from what they were two years ago on the m.2 and on the 1 TB. Personally, for my purposes, I ended up with two 500 GB SATA's and 1 1TB SATA. Running Linux, I can use any of the three to boot from. I do not have to pay Microsoft every time my so-called boot drive hits the dust. Right now it is most convenient to boot from the biggest drive.

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

So, here is this final(ish) build:

Ryzen5 3500
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600
    Gigabyte B450M DS3H mobo
    Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5600XT
    WD Blue 1TB m.2
    Antec Performance Series P82 Flow ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Total = $950 with shipping

I have the PSU, monitor, keyboard/mouse already

Straight_Man
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

How much is your memory kit and GPU? I think you'll probably be better off reallocating some of the RAM budget to the GPU.

The ram is only $70 and the GPU is $270

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Okay. Good deal on the RAM.

Trigger pulled.

Bank account significantly lower.

SonorousMrTRiotStraight_Mankless001

I am so impatient, I want this new build here. Right Meow. I wants the pretty.

_k
  • Keep an eye out for a good VA 144 Hz 1080P panel. I'm running this, I got lucky and found one on sale for under $200 when I got it. It's not the worlds brightest panel, it's not doing fancy HDR or anything like that, it's fairly budget minded, but the contrast and general clarity is good, and I hate to admit it because for years I would have said 60hz was all you were ever going to want, but once you start running +100 FPS on freesync in some of your favorite competitive online games, you will never want to go back. Your new rig will run things like Overwatch in high settings around 144hz easily. If you prefer you could get a 1440p monitor with a frame trade-off and still run it pretty well, just depending on how competitive you want to be online, but to me that card is just screaming for high refresh 1080p.

A new monitor is fairly low on my list right now, this old Samsung SyncMaster T260HD is doing me pretty well still. Plus I love the 1920x1200

Cliff_Forster
  • Yeah, you should be able to max everything out easy now. Kinda jealous of the card upgrade, now I'm thinking about it even though all I ever really play on PC now is Overwatch, otherwise I just kick around on the PS4 a little bit.