What is Icrontic playing? Spring 2020 edition
- 2019 Edition
- 2018 Edition
Whew. It's been a year, huh everyone?
I stopped gaming for months after Kyle was killed, and I'm finally starting to get back into the hobby. Working for Unity now, I've started to dust off all the memories of the things I love so much about gaming. I'll be honest, GamerGate kind of ruined gamer culture for me, and I never really felt like identifying as a gamer after that dumpster fire. I was happy to dip out of the gaming industry entirely.
But now I'm back in it. I am working in the industry I used to know and love so well, and it has rekindled a flame I thought had gone out.
My Switch has been a big part of that; the Switch library is massive, and with engines like Unity (ahem) making it really easy for devs to write a game and deploy it on multiple platforms, the Switch has become my preferred platform for new game purchases. When a new interesting game under $20 comes out, and it exists on both platforms, I will always go for the Switch version instead.
That said, I'm currently playing:
- My Time at Portia (Switch) - a bit buggy, but really really charming and I can't stop playing it. Crafting, relationship building, exploring, fighting, upgrading... it's a bit of RPG, a bit of Minecraft, a bit of Stardew Valley, all cute, all fun.
- Stardew Valley (PC) - I finally started playing it after having it sit in my library for years. I'm not far yet, but it's fun. Maybe playing it after Portia was a bad idea, cause I find myself just wishing it was Portia, but it definitely has its moments
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - Duh.
- Township (Mobile) - running a little town, farming, crafting, and transit stuff. Mini-games. Great time waster. There's an Icrontic guild of sorts that's pretty active, so that's fun
- Adventure Communist (Mobile) - idle game set in a Soviet paradise
- Zen Idle (Mobile) - ultra minimalist gravity-based ball-drop idle game
- Empires & Puzzles (Mobile) - I don't know why I play it except that I'm invested in helping my guild kill monsters, and I don't want to let them down since I'm one of the top members. It's a match-3 game.
- Journey (PS4) - incredibly beautiful, short, poignant, emotive. Just a wonderful experience
- ICRONTIC TF2. It's still so goddamn fun. 12.5 years of this shit. Jesus.
I recently bought a PS4 and I'm excited to get into The Last of Us, Spiderman, FF7 Remake, and God of War.
Whatchu got? Whatchu playn?