My GPU is running at 8x instead of 16X

My GPU is running at 8x instead of 16X
my mobo is My asus z-97-e

when i plug in any thing on the second PCI-E slot it makes my first slot run at 8X

because all my PCI E X1 is been BLOCKED by my Graphics card.... so i plugged in my Wifi PCI E on the second slot of PCI E X16

any ideas how to fix this?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

because all my PCI E X1 is been BLOCKED by my Graphics card.... so i plugged in my Wifi PCI E on the second slot of PCI E X16

From your user manual. It looks like you might need to find a setting to ensure you are in "single vga/pcie" mode instead of dual.

Just to confirm:

In this image, confirming your setup:

• slots labeled 1, 3, and 4 are all not able to be used for your WiFi card (blocked by GPU)
    • Slot 2 - GPU
    • Slot 5 is where you have your WiFi card
  • stealth1111stealth1111 Canada Member

yes that is correct Slot 1 is used by Sound card

edited December 2020

To confirm that you are looking at the right problem:

• shutdown PC
    • remove the wifi card
    • boot up and confirm GPU runs at x16 with no other changes

If that works, then you can look for a setting to limit second slot bandwidth to x8, or something similar. There are a number of settings/options referenced that you might look out for here: https://graphicscardhub.com/gpu-pcie-running-x8/. I would start with looking for a setting to limit bandwidth, then updating BIOS if available, and go from there.

@Tushon said:
    To confirm that you are looking at the right problem:

• shutdown PC
    • remove the wifi card
    • boot up and confirm GPU runs at x16 with no other changes

If that works, then you can look for a setting to limit second slot bandwidth to x8, or something similar. There are a number of settings/options referenced that you might look out for here: https://graphicscardhub.com/gpu-pcie-running-x8/. I would start with looking for a setting to limit bandwidth, then updating BIOS if available, and go from there.

when i remove the Wifi card my GPU is back to 16X

Okay, sounds like you are on the right track then. Start looking through BIOS for settings!

this line makes it seem like you might be out of luck though:

Expansion slots
    2 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 mode or dual at x8/x8 mode)

@Tushon said:
    this line makes it seem like you might be out of luck though:

Expansion slots
    2 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 mode or dual at x8/x8 mode)

yea... i was looking all over the Bios no luck its a cheap Mobo so yea lol..........
    Thanks Tushon your always Msg me back on all my Posts your a life Saver!!!!

i might make a another post later on. On making a NEW PC!!! this pc is 7+ years old thinking of making a new PC not sure yet!!! i hope you will be there for me on that 1 too hahahh

Thanks alot!!!

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

So have you tried the GPU in slot 2 and he others in the 1x slots?

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

It's not a motherboard setting. It's a hardwired division of the PCIe lanes and there's no way around it. Almost every motherboard outside the high-end consumer range does something similar. Best case here is to plug your wifi card into the PCIEx1_3 slot if your GPU isn't blocking it.