w00t! free games!

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited February 2004 in Gaming
I was walking outside EB on my way to paneras bread for some food. I saw a EB gift card on the ground. i looked around saw NOBODY! so i picked it up and went into eb. Said I have no clue what is on this card could you please check? they said sure you have 59 bucks left on the card! So I am sitting here with Rise of Nations and LOTR ROTK games! w00t!

Comments

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    You EVIL EVIL MAN!!! You should've turned it in and said "I found this on the ground, someone will come back and claim it." Then you just sit back and watch the reward move in as the minute you turn around the guy who works there pockets it....

Scratch that....... :D
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    dont give me " you evil man" every damn one of us woulda done the same thing!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    ;D LOL ...it was probably a plant ...mall police probably have you on surveylance cam now!!! j/k enjoy your games.:rockon:
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited February 2004
    I once found a $100 bill laying on the floor of the laundromat on the afternoon of New Year's eve. Snatched that sucker up, went to the grocery store (was in college and the cashflow was in dire straits). Instead of Ramen and Pabst for New Year's Eve, steak, Budweiser, champagne. And then I puked.

Damn that was a good New Year's! 1993-1994 as i recall!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    dont give me " you evil man" every damn one of us woulda done the same thing!

You're wrong about that. I definitely would have turned it in to mall security.

Not trying to act righteous, but honestly, that's what I would have done.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited February 2004
    you lucky lucky man!!
    *starts wishing it was him*

:grumble:
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I once mistakenly picked up another guys jacket at the Munich Oktoberfest (the worlds biggest Beer festival) a couple of years ago, and when I'd gone out of the beer tent they wouldn't let me back in as it was too full.

I checked the coat out for ID, and saw an Austrian drivers license. So, I dutifully got in touch with the Austrian drivers license association (or whatever it is over there) and I sent it to them to forward to the guy.

I also found a 100 Euro note in the pocket, but as I didn't have an address to send it to, I ended up spending it - 100 Euros being a little bit more than $100.

~Cyrix
    edited February 2004
    sorry Prime but this EB wasnt in a mall it was outside the mall in its own little store
    edited February 2004
    Police department then.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited February 2004
    Prime's karma is apparantly larger than mine! :wtf:
    edited February 2004
    No seriously, I'm not trying to be righteous. It boils down to this: I lost a $100 bill once at a fast food restaurant in a "bad" part of Detroit, and I got home and realized with utter finality that it was totally gone. My wife was really upset (we are not very well-to-do people ;D) and even though we both knew it was utterly pointless to go back to the place to see if someone turned it in, I went.

Someone turned it in. I absolutely could not believe it. I mean, this place was in a BAD part of town. (In fact, there have been three shooting deaths in the last three days there) And my lack of faith in humanity was completely turned sideways by that. You have no idea whose card that was.. What if it was some poor kid whose family chipped in and got him a wonderful gift for his birthday and now its gone? I mean, there's no point in speculating on the story, but when you find something that doesn't belong to you and you use it, that's theft.

I also, like most computer geeks, used to pirate software at an alarming rate. So much that I didn't even realize it. But when I realized the karmic consequences of that, I stopped. Now I buy my software. It's hard sometimes, but I just do.

I don't look down on anyone for what they do. I am only concerned with my own karma, and if I'm slightly admonishing Gnome here, it's because I want him to realize that his actions affect his own happiness as well.
  • Omatic810Omatic810 Gainesville, FL
    edited February 2004
    I bet some 5 year old is crying that he lost the card he got for christmas from his dying grandmother, who spent the last of her social security money on a EB card for her darling grandson, and you had the nerve to buy some LOTR game!?

...I woulda got Battlefield 1942 for PC.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited February 2004
    Word, Prime!!!
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited February 2004
    Yeah that was mine. I dropped it..er right out side of eb. Can I have it back now please ;)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2004
    I'm with prime 100% here. Understanding wife and I found a handbag (I believe in the USA you call it a purse, a ladies bag) We looked through it and found a purse with around £6 in it and a little book with phone numbers. We called some of the numbers and got a woman who said it was her daughters. She later called round for it. The next day when we arrived home there was a box of chocolates by the door. The handbag wasn't ours but the chocolates were!
  • edited February 2004
    Prime, you are the man! I totally agree with you. If you find something that doesn't belong to you and you turn it in to what you assume to be proper authority, then at least you have a clear conscience no matter what happened to the item later on.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2004
    I've found a couple of wallets and tried my best to return them. Last time was about 9 months ago. I was in a cyber-cafe and the wallet was right beside the monitor. I didn't think twice, I never even looked inside. I just went up to the counter and told them I found a lost wallet and left it with them. I'm no saint, but I'm a firm believer in what goes around, comes around.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited February 2004
    Karma is universal, man... I have stopped file sharing since reading this thread a few days ago and couldn't begin to describe how may general mood/aura has improved since. I guess you can have a guilty conscience and not even know it. After taking a look at everything I had DL'd, I just did some averages of the prices and I must say that I was well, ashamed. Although I feel that some musicians and developers could use the help and ease of file sharing to get their products out, peoples lives and families depend on the revenue generated by the programs that the internet has allowed us the liberty of taking at our lesure. I know this will not sit well with everybody but... Jihad on File-sharing!!! There, I said it... Thanks Prime for shedding some light on my misgivings on humanity.
  • edited February 2004
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you :wink:
    edited February 2004
    ok now I feel bad! Guess your right. But I did ask the girl in there and she said nobody has been in there with any gift cards Only problem with the police dept is that I have no clue where it is in jensen beach but thats still no excuse. There isnt much I can do now but next time Ill " Be like Prime "