MechWarrior 4 Mercs issues

drasnordrasnor Starship OperatorHawthorne, CA Icrontian
edited March 2004 in Gaming
My machine is having trouble running MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries.
The game launches, but after the opening movie the game flips to windowed mode and hangs. The only things I could find on the MS support page are use the latest VIA GART drivers and uninstall all popup blockers.

I've tried reinstalling and running it in compatibility mode for 2k and 98, and it does the same thing in 2k mode and crashes outright in 98 mode.

Any ideas?

-drasnor :fold:

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    format c:?

well just kidding. are you overclocking at all? maybe cut back on it a bit. maybe there's a patch for it that you need to install? also, I'm not accusing you of it, but a lot of times when you warez theses games, they tend to be flaky at first, until the warez d00dz can release their own update. but anyhow, I'm sure you have alegit copy. like i said, try cuting back on your OC, and check if there's a patch available.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    No OC and it was the last copy left at CompUSA thank you very much ;). The patch doesn't fix it unfortunately.

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    so it does this only with this game? do you know if other users are having similar problems? do you spare room on your HDD to install 2k or 98 just to test it in those OSes? maybe check your ram, might be causing it.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited February 2004
    WinXP has refresh rate problems, do you have a fix like refreshforce installed? I know that used to be an issue for BF1942 and some other games I played, they liked to control the refresh rate, and crashed if anything prevented that. Try disabling refreshforce or whatever (if you have any) and then run it?
    edited February 2004
    Machine passed 7 passes of Memtest86+
    I've got 2k installed on the backup drive. I'll screw with it tonight I suppose.
    I have the dets set to application controls refresh rate.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Omatic810Omatic810 Gainesville, FL
    edited March 2004
    What are your cpu specs? I don't think that's the prob, but just to be sure.
    edited March 2004
    2x AMD Opteron 248.

• croc_croc_ New
    edited March 2004
    You sure those opterons can handle such a complex game? ;D;D;D;D;D;D
    edited March 2004
    croc_ wrote:
    You sure those opterons can handle such a complex game? ;D;D;D;D;D;D

My machine breathes fire and smites dual HT Xeon boxen. :rarr:
    You know what would be a cool mod? Find a case with a "Turbo" button, and make the computer shoot a jet of flame out the back when depressed. Discourages nasty talk about one's machine.