good and bad news

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited February 2004 in Folding@Home
hey guys..

well lets start with the bad news first yea.. my school turned down the offer to start the folding project with their computer labs.. the teacher was like "how would we know they are legitimate?" so on and so forth.. probably just excuses not to partcipate :bs: . sorry bout that..

on the bright side, i've managed to recruit 2 pcs.. one a pentium 4 2ghz++ and :respect: a amd 64 proc !! haha..

i was also wondering whether there are any special flags for the amd 64 proc besides forcesse and advmethods that i should use and whether its folding performance would be greater compared to the barton/throughbred procs

cheers.

Comments

• EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited February 2004
    As for the lab. Tell your teacher to go to stanfords site and read about it. Oh and show them keebs video. :)

Have no idea about the other.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    i did.. i showed the teacher all the folding vids.. showed her standfords website.. with the results page and all that and she still says that.. i think she just doesnt want to commit so i didnt bother much about it after that.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited February 2004
    ok i see. Heartless teacher. :(:rant:
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2004
    Riddick, she have an email address? Maybe we can do a email-in campaign using our real names and contact info. We could explain how this research has applications toward finding cures for disease - That this isn't Pie-In-The-Sky science like Seti@Home. We can also tell her how long and problem free we've been doing this. Just a suggestion...

Team #93 Forever!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I don't blame your teacher for being apprehensive ...I was too for about the first year after I heard of F@H. This team has a way of getting to you!! LOL
    Anyway ...maybe instead of bombarding her with all kinds of info just keep her up-to-date on how much some of the other schools are producing. You can let her know that about 95% of my machines are at school and that I am a teacher as well. Some of the teams/individuals are clearly marked with school names.

Maybe prepare a weekly production chart comparing all of the school folders you can find. Just a thought.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2004
    Csimon, so your saying death threats won't work?!

I appreciate your insight, maybe that's a better way to "persuade" her. Show her the competive side of Folding, make her envious of what the other schools are doing.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2004
    Tell her she doesnt have a soul if she doesnt want to fold. She would rather let the sick die in horrible pain than help them.;) j/k

A64 has no special flags. forcesse and advmethods.
  • BuiesCreek847BuiesCreek847 In a van, down by the river, NC Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    It's real simple!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2004
    Good one BC!
  • edited February 2004
    Ask your teacher if she's ever watched a relative or close acquaintance die a slow horrible death from cancer or Alzheimer's disease. If not, then she really needs to see someone that means something to her die like that; it will definitely change her mind.

You can also look up some of the schools that participate and also people like OC-AMD, who must be some kind of network admin somewhere. He has over 400 processors folding under his name for 2cpu.com. If F@H were dangerous to computers, you don't think a network admin would allow it to run on the computers he administers to, huh?
  • BuiesCreek847BuiesCreek847 In a van, down by the river, NC Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Some feel we aren't serious . . . . . :(
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    wow guys .. i appreciate your thoughts and comments but i rather not risk anymore attempts, besides they dont even leave the pcs on 24/7 anyway.. they're all into that power saving stuff. thanks for the info mmonnin !
    edited February 2004
    Some feel we aren't serious . . . . . :(
    OMG Buies please say you didn't make God kill a kitten!!! LOL :fold:;D:fold:
  • CobaltCobalt Connecticut
    edited February 2004
    Yeah. I just recruited a 1.4ghz server that a teacher and I use as a Linux test-server.

Oh...well I just kind of put it on there. :)
    edited February 2004
    Cobalt wrote:
    Yeah. I just recruited a 1.4ghz server that a teacher and I use as a Linux test-server.

Oh...well I just kind of put it on there. :)
    I would introduce F@H to the teacher ...never know what they will come up with. Especially the science teacher! hehe
  • CobaltCobalt Connecticut
    edited February 2004
    I've already tried. *sigh*