Can't seem to OC my 9700 anymore

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited February 2004 in Hardware
On my old K7S5A (r.i.p.) I could hit 380 on the core (mem was some infineon 3.3 = 303mhz). Now with a A78NX, I can't even hit 300. I ran a full loop of 3DMark2001 and everything went well untill I entered display properties and the screen went to 640x480 with 8bit colors and giving me some video card error. Tried 2 drivers. 3.7's and 4.2's. Don't know what settings I would have to change in the bios. Any suggestions? TIA :)

BTW, system specs:

Asus A78NX (non-deluxe ;[ v2.0 )
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Thermalright AX-7 w/ YS Tech 80mm fan
3x 256MB Samsung chips DDR333
ATi Radeon 9700 Non Pro
Windows XP Corporate w/ SP1
Antec TruePower 350W

Comments

• edited February 2004
    VoE, when you changed out the mobo, did you do a fresh install of your OS? Did you totally remove the ATI drivers when switching between the different versions of catylist drivers?

On my older A7N8X, I had set it up in bios with 8x enabled and fast writes on. I can't remember off the top of my head the other video settings though.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Did a fresh install when changing the motherboard and when chaning the video drivers cause they didn't want to uninstall correctly. I thought fast writes wasn't recommened.
  • edited February 2004
    I think that you are thinking of side band adressing, VoE, but I might be wrong. I know that I have fast writes enabled on my 9800 AIW on my P4 rig with no problems.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Well I also had Fast Writes disabled on my K7S5A. AFAIK it's not recommened the the performance increase is barely noticed and it causes instability. I don't see how the board affect the card's ability to OC.