Easy Compressed Backups!

Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I had some time on my hands, so I figured I'd spend 10 minutes writing a MS Batch scipt to copy & compress my data on a spererate partition on my HDD, safe from "FORMAT C:" :) I ended up making 2 versions, WinZip & WinRAR. I just click a shortcut and folders across my HDD are compressed.

Very worth the time, many times I've forgotten to backup my Favorites and/or Email :(

I'd like to share with everyone here, maybe someone will get use out of it besides me!

Comments

• Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited July 2003
    Type #1: WinZip

This version uses WinZip's command line interface to compress a list of files & directories. README includes details on how to add folders and further configure it.

Option #1:
    WinZip Code Generator

Option #2
    or Download the ZIP below for the "do it yourself" version.
    edited July 2003
    Type #2: WinRAR

This version uses WinRAR's command line interface to compress a list of files & directories. README includes details on how to add folders and further configure it.

Option #1:
    WinRAR Code Generator

Option #2
    or Download the ZIP below for the "do it yourself" version.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Great stuff Park', if you have no objections I'm gonna to copy your posts into the Tweak and Tricks thread.

Thanks for sharing. Nice one!

Cheers:)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I've grabbed the WinRAR one :D

VERY nice mate, very nice!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Nice!!! thumbsup.gif
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    OK....this isn't working for me. I did everything it said and all I got is a command prompt screen that shows for 1 sec and says "Backing up file" and then "Done" but it really did nothing...I put what I wanted to backup correctly. :( ID 10T error :(
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited July 2003
    Did the rar file get created? If so, is there anything in it? If not, then check you list.txt file.

BTW, nice bat park.
    edited July 2003
    Blackhawk said
    OK....this isn't working for me. I did everything it said and all I got is a command prompt screen that shows for 1 sec and says "Backing up file" and then "Done" but it really did nothing...I put what I wanted to backup correctly. :( ID 10T error :(

I'll try and get a PHP script going to generate the Batch source, because it will be much more "user friendly".

You can PM me and we could try and work it out... Just include:

WinRAR/WinZip Version
    BAT file contents
    list.txt contents (or whatever you named it)
    Paths for WinRAR/Zip, BAT, list.txt

Thanks for the comments everyone :)