DVD X Copy now illegal to use!

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited March 2004 in Internet & Media
Yes, Thats right folks. A wise and illustrious judge has decided using DVD X Copy is illegal now and has passed a law to that effect. Read the story here> Extreme Tech. Half way through the story you'll find links to find Congressman & Senators of your state and how to contact them. If we don't say anything to them they will just let this kind of thing slide on by. Let them know-- WE AIN"'T GONNA TAKE IT NO MORE!!!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    It's been technically illegal the entire time. The decryption of DVD anti-copy protection stored on the first bits of retail DVDs violates the DMCA.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    That's one way to look at it, but If I want to copy my vcr tapes or dvd's to use the copies and save the originals from getting damaged, I think I should be able to. Personal use copying. My wife and I have roughly 250-300 movies on vcr tapes and about 75-100 dvd's. I want to copy all my vcr tapes to dvd and copy dvd's also to save our library of movies. I have already purchased these movies, so I should be able to copy them for my own use.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    VHS to DVD is legal.

DVD to DVD is not.

Go figure.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited February 2004
    Simple solution, rrent a hotel in Canada, come up here and burn the cds and then drive back across the border! I should set up my own tourism business for those Americans who want to backup their dvds but can't stand to break the law ;). Hey I could even provide the dvd-burners and you just stick the disk in and copy it yourself!. BTW since we pay a media tax on all blank media (cd-rs, tapes etc) downloading music off p2p networks is temporarily legal (according to a judge) until the RIAA manages to force the government to change the law. The DMCA definitely does suck, I have to agree with you there.

BTW judges can't make laws, they can only interpret the laws that are passed into law and where neccessary over-ride those laws. Its your local congress-critter you want to be annoyed at, DVD X-copy is pretty much blatantly illegal under the DMCA.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited February 2004
    qparadox wrote:
    Simple solution, rrent a hotel in Canada, come up here and burn the cds and then drive back across the border!

So when you drive back across the border and the customs officer asks "what's with all the DVDs son?"...whatchya gonna say? Perhaps not a wise choice of action.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Just made some coasters while I was visiting a friend sir. lol
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited March 2004
    Its still in stores .... and in magazine ads.