A LAN question

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Hi guys,

I was just wondering whether clients running Windows XP can join a dedicated server ( counter strike etc ) being run on Windows 2000 thru LAN.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Yep.

Just connect to the LAN server IP address through the game, same as you would if you were playing online :)
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Well according to 1 of my friends hes having trouble doing so

Is there any point to run the network wizard and make that weird disk for comps that arent XP?

Or should i just tell him to make sure the NIC's are working, make sure the comp name is unique and they are in the same workgroup?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Tell him to check to see if the software firewall is enabled. It's in the properties sheet of the LAN connection.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Roger that !

any other things to look out for?

/edit oh yeah forgot to wish ya happy belated birthday mate:birthday: :beer:
  • khankhan New
    edited July 2003
    servers are client OS-independent. a good deal of dedicated servers run linux, and half-life don't do linux. the problem is more than likely one of two things:
    1)the server
    2)your friend

hope that narrows it down!
    j/k. if the server is properly set up, then you are correct, he should check to make sure his networking is properly set up (i.e. can he access web pages and what not?) and then make sure that he doesnt have access to that program (half life?) disabled by any firewalls...does he have zone alarm installed?