Codecs for WMP

Kristof2Kristof2 Member
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I am trying to play some video files that I downloaded from the web. It says that the type is Video Clip. But when I try to play it in Windows media player all i get is sound. How do I know which codec to download??

Kristof2

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    In Windows Media Player, when the video file in question is loaded up, try FILE - PROPERTIES (that should show you all the file details)

If that doesn't tell you what codec you want to use, then make sure you have the most commonly used vid codecs on your system. For example, XVID, DIVX, and WMP9 Codec (if you aren't already running it that is).

Cheers
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    www.divx.com
    its perctly legal...and it works on almost anything
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    EVERY codec problem I have ever had (and I've had a lot...) was solved by the NIMO Codec Pack .

Make sure you have your pop-up stopper and spyware checker functional - the only drawback is that at times the site wants to get a little too friendly. Also, read the instructions. It's very simple to install, but some of the codecs are specific to certain video cards. If you don't have that card, don't install that item.

Prof
  • Tim-KTim-K Southwest PA
    edited July 2003
    Go to yahoo.com and find the XVID and DIVX codecs, stop by microsoft.com and pick up Windows Media Player 9.0 for your O.S., go to real.com and get the real player, and back to yahoo.com for Quicktime for Windows.

Then you should be set for pretty much anything out there.

My shows are all encoded in 9.0, and when I tried to play them on a standard XP (8.0) player, I got sound only and no video.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Even better, use the codec pack on here -

www.k-lite.tk

They also have an MOV player on there so you dont have to use quicktime.

NS
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    NightShade737 said
    Even better, use the codec pack on here -

www.k-lite.tk

They also have an MOV player on there so you dont have to use quicktime.

NS

I would love to get rid of QuackTime. Are there any other issues to worry about when doing this?

Prof
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Also good for finding out what codec a video uses.
  • Tim-KTim-K Southwest PA
    edited July 2003
    I forgot one - go to macromedia.com and get the Flash 6 player. Essential for sites like www.y2khai.com .