Mics and Digital Camcorders

CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
edited March 2004 in Internet & Media
Hey all, its me, again.

We'll, we're currently FINALLY getting some stuff together over at the Double-P, I think some of you might enjoy it, a little show we're putting together called The L33T Factor, it's gonna be pretty ridiculous.

Unfortunately right now for audio I have to use the onboard Mic because this camera doesn't support external mics. But anyway, I saw this camera,

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=Jz17NLQDENJ7OPRImMpxP_sOxS0nVZI0kpA=?ProductSKU=DCRHC30&Dept=dcc&CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders_MiniDVHandycamCamcorders

which has a 1/8th jack for external Mics. I saw some wireless lavs on ebay for like $28.99. I figure I can get one of those 1/8th splitters at radio shack so I can run two lavs for two seperate people into the one audio source. Does this sound like it will work good? I've never done this type of stuff with a camcorder before because the only ones ive used have had the built in mic and that was it.

Also, that camera is pretty good, but if you guys have any in that price range $600 or under. That have the same type of functions (external audio is a MUST, thats the big reason why I'm switching cameras) let me know, because I'm just going with the Sony because I know its a good quality camera and has the features I want. My one qualm is with it's size, its SOOO tiny, unlike people who just wanna grab the camera and go, id rather my camera have a little bit of size to it. Thanks for any advice and help!

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    You dont happen to get Consumer reports do you? Or able to take a look at one someplace? If you find the right one there should be a comparison of several. It might be easier to look at a bunch of them at once than browsing the net comparing features.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Little ones do best on a tripod, and that is how most of my Camedia 4000 shots that I need to have hyper-steady will be taken. I know also, that the way my churhc did mics was wireless mics thorugh an audio mixer, the problem you might have with a didgicam is that if you Y the input you might get mic sounds from both folks overloading the input.

Most professional media is audio track mixed last, then merged with video.... If you record audio live, you might lose the best part of the audio while cutting out bad video. I would record audio separately, but that is just from someone who helped debug a 15 mic input system in a church and figure out how to use radio mics from building to building on campus. Basicly, we used a Yamaha sound mixer panel as main panel, with two aux mixer\blender panels leading into it, result went to amps and to camera with a line level convertor from the standard RCA to a 1\8" jack and with soem resistance built inline to keep from having overload. You do not want to know what the main mixer panel cost, the minister kinda decided we could use it later in the Family Life Center and bought a 3 foot by 6' panel with layers of mixing adn EQ and it had 36 channels in capability. The one we used before that was 24 channel in capability, hooked to an aux with 18 channels (all channels stereo).

What you are doing sounds like a job for remixing, but easiest way would be wireless mics with receiver line-leveled and fed into the the aux-in of computer. The wireless audio receiver will do some overload filtering for you.

John D.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Look for a Sony Digital 8 camera. They use standard 8mm tapes and the same mechanicals that Sony has used for years in their very reliable analog recorders. I love mine.
    As for the mics, you are going to need a mixer. You will never get the level and balance right without one. But it can be real cheap.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    edcentric wrote:
    Look for a Sony Digital 8 camera. They use standard 8mm tapes and the same mechanicals that Sony has used for years in their very reliable analog recorders. I love mine.
    As for the mics, you are going to need a mixer. You will never get the level and balance right without one. But it can be real cheap.

I have a Sony TRV-250 (the lowest of the Sony Digital8 cameras available right now), it doesnt have the audio input features I need, its big brother, the TRV 350 DOES have input but if I am going to upgrade, the miniDV one offers better resolution and manual white balance anyway.

And ageek, the whole point of it is I want the audio and video on the tape on the camera, thats why I need the line input, so I dont want to do it seperate. Because, if I was going to do it seperate than I wouldnt need to upgrade my camera to begin with.

I also need it to be a fairly portable setup, throwing a mixer in here is going to make it kinda clunky, thats why I was thinking of using the y adapter..
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I kinda agree with ageek on this one.. If you want to do it right, you should get a portable mixer (like the one I just got - a $50 Behringer Eurorack UB802) It's pretty small (maybe 6x8) and I would definitely consider it portable.

It will push your audio into the next realm - that of semi-professional sounding video.

I know a guy who does video for a living, and he's not the only one who I've heard say this before: The biggest seperator between amateur and professional video is the audio. It's his mantra, and he pays more attention to the audio than the video. It definitely adds that truly "professional" touch to a video if the audio is clear and doesn't have wind noise and tape hiss.

Tape hiss just screams "ghetto!" ;D
    edited March 2004

It will push your audio into the next realm - that of semi-professional sounding video.

. It definitely adds that truly "professional" touch to a video if the audio is clear and doesn't have wind noise and tape hiss.

Tape hiss just screams "ghetto!" ;D

dude, we're talking about purposeless here...noone screams ghetto louder than us

but in all honesty, I just want to have two people with lavs on their shirts and maybe sometimes a regular microphone...do I really need all this mixer stuff...... I really just need something that would balance the signal of two 1/8" inputs into a single 1/8" input. I dont want to use a different audio source and mix it together later...keep in mind here the final format of this show is a DiVX video for posting to the web...not a high-def home theater system
    edited March 2004
    I still think a mixer would be a huge benefit to you. It'll make a world of difference. You can get smaller one for even cheaper.
    edited March 2004
    alrighty....ill have to search out some portable cheapo mixers (battery powered for on the go! :D ) know of any others than the one already posted?

As for camcorders, i just spent like 3 hours searching, I think im just going with the Sony TRV-350, I already have lots of D8 tapes now, I like the setup and layout. I looked at some more expensive models that I liked, in particular a Panasonic 3CCD camera that really caught my eye, but apparently when you get into the "Prosumer" or "Serious Hobbyist" categories of digital camcorders, they are above using "night shot" style features and things of that nature. Yes, in most cases night shot does produce a poor image, but it's a fun addition for some of the stuff we do and I think an important thing for me to have. Basically I'll just be upgrading some stuff by switching to the TRV-350, mostly adding audio input (which I need BADLY, as you no doubt understand, onboard = sux) and some other things.
    edited March 2004
    I know that the mini-version of the one I recommend (the UB502) is the smallest/cheapest they make, and it's NOT battery powered. Sorry :(