Bad Power Supply?????????

shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
edited February 2006 in Hardware
I bought a case and a power supply from Tiger Direct about a year ago ad i think i have a problem with my power supply. The problem is that every time i turn on my computer it makes the breaker box buzz like its overloded. I have tried many different things to get it not to do that like i tried different power cord ad even tried it in different rooms in the house. My room is on a 20 amp breaker, It even does it without the monitor pluged in.

it has a MSI k7t pro-2 motherboard
a athlon 700@867@1.85 volts
a 10 gig seagate drive
a buslink 48-24-48 burner
it has 3 fans and a ccfl

the psu is a premier by ATNG brand 350 watt power supply modelap-350x

on the power supply it says it draws 8 amps at 110volts

here is the site for the case http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=504690&Sku=A450-3015

I know thhis isnt normal because it is on a 20 amp breker
so if any knows anything i would like to know if i have to get a new power supply

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    It might be a fan someplace. Maybe one in the PSU?
  • edited March 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    It might be a fan someplace. Maybe one in the PSU?

I've had that happen before myself, with a fan that was noisy when cold booting. I eventually opened up the psu and changed the fan out.

Are you sure it's the circuit breaker making this buzzing noise, shackwrrr? If it is, then it might just be the circuit breaker going bad, but unless the breaker box is next to your computer, I don't see how you can hear a circuit breaker making a buzzing sound.
  • shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
    edited March 2004
    The breaker box is in the laundry room and when you turn on the computer the breaker box emits a audible buzzing sound and it doesent when its off and i have tried different power cords and different plugs around the house on different breakers but it still does it could there be somethig bad in the power supply making it draw more than 8 amps I need to get this fixed because my parents wont let me turn on my computer unless is stops buzzing and the computer doesent make any sounds nothig hats up abnormally maybe its the k7t motheboard that has HUGE! capacitators?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    That Caps are fine and there are plenty of sizes bigger.

Could you try the computer in a different room? So that its on a different circuit breaker.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited March 2004
    it sounds like you are drawing to much power on that circuit breaker. Turn the pc on and unplug some other things on that breaker and see it the problem persists.

Gobbles
  • shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
    edited March 2004
    I tried it in other rooms and nothing else in on that breaker except my alarm clock and my radio
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    shackwrrr wrote:
    The breaker box is in the laundry room and when you turn on the computer the breaker box emits a audible buzzing sound and it doesent when its off and i have tried different power cords and different plugs around the house on different breakers but it still does it could there be somethig bad in the power supply making it draw more than 8 amps I need to get this fixed because my parents wont let me turn on my computer unless is stops buzzing and the computer doesent make any sounds nothig hats up abnormally maybe its the k7t motheboard that has HUGE! capacitators?

Um, a better PSU is what I would advise. PSUs can draw 1.4-1.7 times the load they feed to computer parts if the PSU is at all damaged or is a cheap and inefficient one. So yes, the PSU could be damaged a bit or be overloaded a bit and be drawing way too much juice, or be inefficient and be wasting a lot of power stepping down from 110\120 or 230\240 to 12 and less volts to feed computer. Also, if you are using a surge strip, the surge strip could be goign bad and feeding back into breaker box. AND, if computer does not have grounded outlet, it WILL have feedback problems. Buzzing is probably feedback, sorry to say.

John D.
  • edited March 2004
    It could also be a circuit breaker going bad, I've had that happen several times. Find out what brand it is and then look at Home Depot or Lowe's to see if they handle the brand. If they don't, then check around the various electrical supply houses in your town and find one that handles the brand circuit breaker your box uses. Get a replacement (most probably a 20 amp 120v) and then carefully remove the cover plate off the breaker box, turn the offending breaker off then remove the hot wire from the breaker and remove the old breaker. The replacement breaker will install in reverse of the way the old one came out, then connect the hot wire to the breaker, put the cover plate on the breaker box and then turn the new breaker on. A new 20 amp breaker shouldn't cost more than $10-20 for residential boxes.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    I think mudd has called it. :thumbup

There may also be a problem with the outlet. You can get a cheap tester for under $10 to check it.
  • edited July 2004
    im in almost the exact same shoes as shakwrrr except the circuit breaker is on the wall adjacent to my parents bedroom. yep i cannot turn my computer on too or the breaker will hum, and the humming stops when my computer is off. i think the breaker is going bad because we weren't getting this problem before. i'll look into replacing the circuit breaker to see if it will help.

anyone with this problem fixed it with a replacement??

ps.. i pushed against the wall near the circuit breaker and it seems to quiet down a little.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    It could also be a circuit breaker going bad, I've had that happen several times. Find out what brand it is and then look at Home Depot or Lowe's to see if they handle the brand. If they don't, then check around the various electrical supply houses in your town and find one that handles the brand circuit breaker your box uses. Get a replacement (most probably a 20 amp 120v) and then carefully remove the cover plate off the breaker box, turn the offending breaker off then remove the hot wire from the breaker and remove the old breaker. The replacement breaker will install in reverse of the way the old one came out, then connect the hot wire to the breaker, put the cover plate on the breaker box and then turn the new breaker on. A new 20 amp breaker shouldn't cost more than $10-20 for residential boxes.

Could be that or corrosion on wires at breaker and\or wall outlet, or a bad ground bar from a large surge suppression being reflected back through bar, also. OR a BAD surge strip feeding junk back into circuit AS WELL. When you choose to replace a circuit breaker, shut down the power unless you are very skilled with electrical work, ok??? AND look at the grounding bar and wire to be connected to breaker, get corrosion off that bar and wire if any is present while power is off. Use electrical contact cleaner if neede for that, get excess off before gettign things put back together, and get an electrician to check panel if you do not know how to protect yourself right.
  • edited February 2006
    My suggestion is this:
    For around $100. to $900. you can buy an AC voltage regulator. You will need a simple one, 120 volts AC Input that gives 115 Volts AC Output. The voltage regulator will regulate the amount of amps that can be drawn from the breaker box (main power supply that is buzzing) and will not allow your PC to draw more than it is asking for. This is not only a great way to regulate the amps drawn on the main power box in your utility room, but it also protects your PC from getting fried by drawing too many amps.
    In the mean time, have someone check your PC because there is no reason that it should be drawing that many amps. A buzzing breaker is telling you that there are just too many amps being drawn through the breaker. Not only that, but the wires in the wall are also getting warm from the Ohms of resistance in those wires. Your home likely has 14 gauge wire. 12 gauge used to be the standard. With dimming lights, it is likely 14 gauge. However, the Ohms are what cause the lights to dim and Watts are the cause behind the Ohms. Voltage is the carrier. Watts is the volume. Amps are the strength. Ohms is the resistance, like sucking a golf ball through a straw. Unless you are a pro with electricity. Don't mess with it. Get a regulator and call a professional. Your service box sounds overloaded... period. You might need to have the entire box upgraded to 100 amps or even 150 amps. Call a professional and ask them about using a voltage regulator as I have suggested. Second opinions are always best. With a reputable licenced electrician you should be able to have the box checked out for approximately $40. and upgraded to a 150amp box for approximately $350 to $400., including the cost of the box and new breakers. Shop around. The economy is in a rutt, so work is hard to find. It's a great time to negociate your own price. Good Luck!
    ..............................Peterpanippleskin