Network On Signal And Mouse Light Always On!?

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited March 2005 in Hardware
A few months ago I built my girlfriend a rig, runs great, obviously...;) however, the optical mouse light always stays on even when the PC is turned off, and also the onboard lan's computer on signal is still being sent out, i.e my network hub reads the computer as being active, when it really isn't.

Anyone else experience this problem? Could it be a BIOS problem? Last time I checked it had the latest revision.

It's a:

KD7
Suntek (came with case 300W PSU)
512MB PC2700 Crucial
GF4 MX440
SB Live
ATHLON XP 1700+ (TB)

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Try disabling WOL and maybe the mouse is on if it has a feature to turn on when you press the keyboard or something. For me the hub still sees the PC active even when I turn it off.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    That's a good point, I'll look into that, but as far as I was aware no ABIT boards support that start on keyboard command feature. However like I said, I'll check it out, but I think I would have noticed something in the BIOS by now if it did have that ability.

With regard to the network thing, all the other computers on my network, when powered down, are no longer detected by the hub. That's why I presumed it was related to the same thing, especially because it only appears to be on-board peripherals which seem to be effected.

It's one of those problems which isn't worth gutting the PC over, but torments your curiousity everytime you notice it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Newer NICs that support wake-on-lan are always connected as long as there is power to the bus. So, even when "off" there's still 5V on the bus so that WOL, keyboard powerup, and the like can work. That's totally normal on newer boards.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    unplug the PSU :)...but seriously...this problem seems really weird...it hasnt happened to me as of yet
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Yeah, it happens on my KD7-RAID. Network stays on and so does Num Lock (boy, that WTFed me out the first time I saw it). But I got used to it. Whatever floats its boat. Don't have an explanation though.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    The KD7-RAID has keyboard power on and power on by mouse.

So therefore, it does that same for me, and have any of you ever looked into the BIOS deep enough?
    edited July 2003
    primesuspect said
    Newer NICs that support wake-on-lan are always connected as long as there is power to the bus. So, even when "off" there's still 5V on the bus so that WOL, keyboard powerup, and the like can work. That's totally normal on newer boards.
    danball1976 said
    The KD7-RAID has keyboard power on and power on by mouse.

So therefore, it does that same for me, and have any of you ever looked into the BIOS deep enough?

I rang my girlfriend up and asked her to look through her BIOS settings (she's pretty clueless when it comes to PC's) and after about half an hour;D I had confirmed what you guys had said. It does in fact support keyboard powerup etc etc. So thanks for helping me figure that one out.

Also, danball', yes you were correct, I hadn't gone through the BIOS as thoroughly as I should have, but it had only really clicked with me that I should go and give it a more indepth look whilst discussing the problem in this thread. Hence my reason for starting the thread, to provoke thought. My apologies for not being as thorough as you would like me to be.;):p

SPINNER
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    With all my new machines, anything plugged into the PS/2 ports stays on, and the onboard NICs stay on.

NS
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Spinner,

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=8958#post8958

The NF2 board have those jumpers and by default, they are set to on. It means that the wake-up functions on both the mouse and keyboard is active.

Can you check if the KD7 has the same jumpers?
    edited July 2003
    I will yes, I imagine though it will have those jumpers. However I can't check now as I can't get access to that machine this weekend, and the online manual is rubbish. I'll post back when I find out, that is if no other KD7 users can check for us. I had presumed the board did have the ability to turn that function off, I just haven't had the chance to check.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    The KD7 does not have a jumper to turn that feature off.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Doesnt look like it has any hardware options -

abit-kd7r-theme.gif

NS
  • edited March 2005
    Since I installed optical mice on my two PCs I noticed that the mouse remains lit up after I turn off my PCs, also num lock is on by default. So searching the net I came across you people with the same problem(?).
    Correct me if I am wrong, you seem to have come to the conclusion that there is nothing to be done about it. ie the mouse stays lit when PC is off, using a small amout of elect and wearing out the LED a little.
    Its just an irritant I suppose. :rolleyes:

Malcolm
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Indeed. Irritant. Can't be fixed.