Athlon 64 3200+ K8T Neo Problems - Please help!

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hi,
I just cant figure out what the heck is going on with the PC I just put together. Ive got a Athlon 64 3200+ processor in a K8T Neo motherboard and everytime I get to the windows boot screen (the one with safe mode etc.) I pick an option (doesnt matter which, the same thing happens) and the computer reboots only to do the same thing again. I saw a similar post that suggested lowering the Mhz from 200 to 190. I did that and it made no difference. Same deal. I dont know if the problem is with the CPU, the motherboard, the hard drive or me. I need help asap as I run a home business on this computer. Please help!

Mike

Comments

• edited March 2004
    Try taking a stick of ram out, I've heard that your mobo is really picky when it comes to ram.
    What kind of memory are you running in it BTW?
  • edited March 2004
    madmat wrote:
    Try taking a stick of ram out, I've heard that your mobo is really picky when it comes to ram.
    What kind of memory are you running in it BTW?

Thanks for the fast reply. I have heard the same thing. I have a 512 stick of 2700 333 ram in there too test the other hardware while im waiting for a gigabyte of kingston 3200 400 to come in the mail. The ram is recognized and I dont get any errors, everything seems ok until i get to the safemode screen and back i go to the beginning again. Some more details: 350 watt enermax power supply, 200gb hard drive master, 20gb slave, DVD-R, Audigy, Gforce 3 500i. Ive never been this stumped before...
  • edited March 2004
    With what I'm referencing the board wouldn't post with 2-512MB sticks of Corsair XMS DDR400 in it or any other brand or speed in 2x512MB except Buffalo DDR400.
    They had to use 2 sticks of 256MB ram to get it to even post except for the Buffalo as I noted.
  • edited March 2004
    madmat wrote:
    With what I'm referencing the board wouldn't post with 2-512MB sticks of Corsair XMS DDR400 in it or any other brand or speed in 2x512MB except Buffalo DDR400.
    They had to use 2 sticks of 256MB ram to get it to even post except for the Buffalo as I noted.

Man, I didnt know it was that bad. I'd be relieved if it was the RAM, so long as its not the CPU. Im no novice, but I dont know what post means. Ive never had to have another place work on my computer, but it may come to that this time. I think ill probably subject myself to the damn thing restarting a few more times before i give in. Im running out of things to check and settings to check though:-P My CPU temp is around 89-100 according to the bios. Is this normal?
  • edited March 2004
    POST=Power On Self Test, in essence it's where the machine boots and tests and initializes the hardware.
  • edited March 2004
    madmat wrote:
    POST=Power On Self Test, in essence it's where the machine boots and tests and initializes the hardware.

Ah, right on. Well, my machine does post. It goes through all the motions and recognizes all the hardware. It says the bios isnt installed for SATA, which isnt a problem (I dont think) because Im not using and SATA Hard Drives, but other than that everything seems in order until DUM DUM DUUUM I click on the start windows normally, safe, whatever and back to square one I go. Anyone have any other ideas?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Idea, see if you can disable SATA in boot, SATA BIOS, and\or SATA or SATA\IDE combos for HDs in BIOS.. Looks like you disabled the SATA BIOS, but did not set the system up for IDE only and not SATA. To use ANY SATA or drives hooked to the SATA connectors via a dongle and SATA cable per drive, you need SATA BIOS and SATA boot enabled.

Looks like a partially disabled SATA setup for starters. That would trigger a spontaneous reboot right after post.... So, question, does BIOS say it updated the ESCD successfully, then go to boot Widnwos and then you get a spontaneous reboot??? If Yes, SATA is probably in boot order, possibly before IDE primary master. That would do this, no SATA drives attached, PLUS no SATA BIOS present to main BIOS as it is disabled....

Know what you mean about you gotta have the business box up, I had one here that was giving me intermittent fits also until I finally figured out why it rebooted every three days by itself. In your case, is not booting to Windows but might be posting completely if the ESCD update succes line shows-- cuz after that the booting is from storage media and should be into Windows. Silly thing is trying to boot from a drive that is not physically there, sounds like.... And, with SATA BIOS off it is not finding any SATA drives, but it is looking for same as boot-first priority I bet.... Funniest thing, it is finding windows if you get a boot menu.... Windows PROBABLY is trying to redirect to a non-existant SATA drive to boot per BIOS boot order, but if this is not a CD-ROM boot then you are getting a storage media boot and then Windows is giving up on setting up the storage subsystem. IF this is a CD-ROM boot, take the dang CD out, restart, see if the thing goes into Windows (yeah, I have a few of those 2 AM -- "Why the **** isn't it booting from HD, oh, Duh, its booting from CD!" T-Shirts also (the VR kind)).

One or the other is most probable scenario.... Yes, struggled with this with a P4 SATA plus IDE RAID capable board also.... Thing hkept wanting to boot SATa first, IDE RAID second, plain old IDE last, then tried for a CSA\NIC boot, never got to CD.... In yhour case, setup will be different, idea is same, boot order is overruling things and confusing Windows.

John D.
  • edited March 2004
    Ha HA! I beat the machine. Turns out it wanted the ATA133 card i was using in my old mobo for the hard drive. Once I put that back in i booted and shutdown, then left the card in and switched the cable from the card to an IDE slot, then booted and shut down and finally I removed the card, booted and all is well.... EXCEPT: My damn sound blaster audigy card wont work now! I have the onboard AC17 or whatever audio disabled, but I have no sound. The computer sees a multimedia audio device but wont identify it. I never had this problem before. Any takers for this problem?
  • edited March 2004
    Did you load drivers for it??
  • edited May 2004
    I have just fried my AMD64 3200 KT8, had the same problems i.e. no Random Restarts, Freezes, CD-ROM opening would lock the PC? I Tried installing updated BIOS drivers from MSI utility, and now its fooked. I have heard speak that it is the CPU. My Comp boots up still but it can not read from the A dirve or CD DVD drives. Monitor does not work either. I have used a Jumper to see what the 4 Lights of doom would spell and all 4 stay solid RED.... guess its fried eh? Well I have contacted the nice people at where I brought it from and hope the warrantry holds on.
  • edited March 2005
    i had a similar problem with my amd 64 3200+ i bought from a computer show.
    i took it home installed everything loaded windows drivers ect ect all good. i started getting bsod's after a while from my video card like error stop and a memmory address and other various probs but this is what i found out. the bios defaults where not default for my computer. i had to set the cpu to memory to 1/1 in bios(not auto) for it to work. im not a guru it took me 3 days and alot of frustration to figure out. hope this helps... :thumbsup:

moving ram into seperate slots might make it go from 400mhz to 200mhz, which is what i did in bios by setting it 1/1btw on a asus k8vsedx

you might be seeing corruption on your drive as i had the same things work and not work depending on how it felt till i set the memory right, formatted reinstalled windows drivers ect ect.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited March 2005
    List your components - everything, Ram, Video, HDs, CD-roms, PSU (Voltage & wattage rating) etc
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2005
    madmat wrote:
    That seems to be a issues with all kt800 boards :(

I ditched my asus a8v deluxe rev 1 because it wouldnt post with my corsair xms :(
    edited March 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    That seems to be a issues with all kt800 boards :(

I ditched my asus a8v deluxe rev 1 because it wouldnt post with my corsair xms :(

I disagree. Most likely it's a weak PSU issue. My Abit KV8 Pro (S754) and AV8 (S939), both K8T800 Pro mobos, worked just fine with Corsair XMS PC3500, Kingston HyperX PC4000, HyperX PC3500 and Patriot PC3200 XBL (TCCD). Although only with the Patriot ram would either board OC past 220mhz. (Up to 270mhz)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    I have two Msi Neo fisr's. One with a 3200+ and the other with a 3000+.

Both have worked flawlessly with two sticks of 512mb Kingston value ram or two sticks of the cheap Geil value ram. Both run under $100 for a GB of pc3200 DDR.

It might be picky with SOME ram but lots of 512mb x 2 works in this board.

Tex
  • edited January 2006
    hi!
    I have a K8T Neo and m using a athlon 64 3000+, the problem i m facing is that once i install my graphics card drivers, my comp freezes up every time there is a visual strain of any sort. Eg. right clicking a folder.

Can someone help me!! i m a beginner with computers.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2006
    hi!
    I have a K8T Neo and m using a athlon 64 3000+, the problem i m facing is that once i install my graphics card drivers, my comp freezes up every time there is a visual strain of any sort. Eg. right clicking a folder.

Are the drivers beta?

If they are, try using the windows Hardware Qualified drivers. But prior to doing that, we will need to get you back up and running. Assuming that this video card had a previous set of good working drivers, we will need to reboot into safemode and revert back to your old drivers. The quickest and probably safest way enter the device manager and select the video card under display adapters. Right click and select properties. Now select driver and click on the option for rollback driver. If it stops you by telling you that there is no backup, select no to the troubleshooter and select uninstall. After performing this procedure, you should look into using the most up to date driver that is WHQ.

Once you load that driver, reboot and tell us what happens. Additionally and completely off-topic, please try creating your own thread in the future. It woudl have been better had you added this under the graphics forum.
    edited January 2006
    hi!

Make sure you install the Latest VIA Chipset drivers from VIA Arena before you install the Video drivers.

Via Hyperion v5.07A Driver Download - Latest Driver

Also check your Power Supply (PSU). If it supplies less than 20amps on the 12v rail, it might a/the source of your problems also.

And of course grab the latest Video driver from ATI - (.Net required) and/or Nvidia
  • edited January 2006
    hi, actually i meant that i had started problems after i installed the Nvidia Display Drivers. So what i did, after i got some advice from u guys, i used the rollback driver function, n it worked, the freezing has stoped! But i havent downloaded the latest chipset drivers. How do i check the power supply? Are there any known chipset problems with display drivers?
    edited January 2006
    hi, actually i meant that i had started problems after i installed the Nvidia Display Drivers. So what i did, after i got some advice from u guys, i used the rollback driver function, n it worked, the freezing has stoped! But i havent downloaded the latest chipset drivers. How do i check the power supply? Are there any known chipset problems with display drivers?
    No

The PSU ratings should be on a sticker on the side or bottom of the PSU
  • edited January 2006
    so how do i check what PSU voltages are actually?
    edited January 2006
    With a voltage meter on a spare molex (4 wire) plug