UT2K4 issuseseseses

ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
edited March 2004 in Gaming
Does any 1 elses game take a LONG time to load in ? and they it periodicly "freezes" for about 10 seconds during games, is this only armo?

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    did it happen to you in the demo? i haven't gotten the full game yet, but it never happened to me in the demo, and all levels seemed to load in about 5-10 seconds.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Armo: if your PC is as listed in your sig, your long load times and freezes are due to a lack of RAM. The game really doesn't like having less than 512MB of RAM.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited March 2004
    Armo, your loading time problem is due to UT2004 pre-caching all of the player models and skins each and every load time. This adds a substantial amount of time to each level load.

Go to Settings and disable "Pre-Load Player Skins" (it's on the same menu as the "Speech Recognition" option).

512 MB of RAM would help too :)

However, even with that disabled, my system locks for about 10 seconds when I get into any multiplayer level and I can hear my RAID array caching like mad.

Hope it helps.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    he has 512 on one of his rigs, with a 9800 pro, I assume that's the rig he's playing UT on.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I have the same problem to an extent. The demo plays fine, but I believe the textures and stuff for of lower quality than the full game. When playing the full version, it does take a bit longer to load, but nothing I can't wait for. It also does seem to freeze on occasion, though usually no longer than 3 seconds. It did it more at first when I had my card pumped to maximum. When I turned it back down to balanced it seemed to be fine.

I have an AthlonXP 2500+, 512MB PC2700, and a Radeon 9700 Pro. I wonder if more memory would help. Hmmm...
  • edited March 2004
    :topic: Hey SimGuy, nice to see you're still alive and well!!! I was afraid you'd become a ludite...I hope you're doing good! :topic: I will now return the post to it's topic.
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited March 2004
    UT2004 was doin the lockup deal for me as well. Every couple seconds it would stutter and would almost feel like lag in an online game. I changed my sound settings to use Hardware and it seemed to clear it up. Play with your sound settings and see if that helps.

Abit NF7-s
    XP2500M @ 11x215
    OCZ PC2700 EL 2-2-2-4 @ 215
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128 @ 460/380
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I bet that's it... I always forget to check sound settings.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2004
    exceltent ideas, thx every 1 for their input CEPT MADMAT!!!!!!!!! GRAAA :):):)

pre-chace modles was on and ill play with the audio settings too and give an update
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited March 2004
    Yea, it takes a while for initial load of the game. Switching between maps isnt bad at all though.