Web Design Project???

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited March 2004 in Internet & Media
i don't know where to post this, but i will try here fiorst, and mods move it if needed.

anyways, we(web design class) starting a project, we are going to make our on site now,
The home page must have 5 child pages
the child pages must have 3 child pages off of them

that's a lot of pages, i don't know what topic to do it on to make that many pages, any ideas guys

thanks in advance.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Moved to digital media, since it's "design" related :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Cover hardware specs on PCs... 5 child pages can be: CPU, Video, Motherboard, Cooling, and Peripherals.

3 under CPU: AMD XP, Intel P4, AMD 64
    3 under Video: ATI, nVidia, Matrox
    3 under motherboard: Abit, Asus, MSI
    3 under cooling: Water Cooling, Air Cooling, Other (pelt, etc)
    3 under peripherals: Good monitors, good mouse, good keyboard

and... done!
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    yah, u the man, i will do that.
    edited March 2004
    Have fun with it, leishi! ;)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    leishi85 wrote:
    ...that's a lot of pages, i don't know what topic to do it on to make that many pages, any ideas guys..
    Well, the babe thread doesn't seem to suffer from lack of material. Maybe something centered around scantily-clad women. Who knows - it could be the next big thing on the Internet.

The best thing to do is pick a subject you already like. You seem to be interested in anime, why not go with that? There is a lot of source material and plenty of pictures and music to juice things up.
    The home page must have 5 child pages
    You could set it up to cover five different types of anime, say Humorous, Sci-Fi, Artsy-Fartsy (your teacher might appreciate a different term), etc.

the child pages must have 3 child pages off of them
    A page for the best of each category, the worst, and a look at what's new. Or just pick three shows in each category and cover them as examples.
    edited March 2004
    That's a good idea too. No trouble finding images for the pages with anime...
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Cover hardware specs on PCs... 5 child pages can be: CPU, Video, Motherboard, Cooling, and Peripherals.

3 under CPU: AMD XP, Intel P4, AMD 64
    3 under Video: ATI, nVidia, Matrox
    3 under motherboard: Abit, Asus, MSI
    3 under cooling: Water Cooling, Air Cooling, Other (pelt, etc)
    3 under peripherals: Good monitors, good mouse, good keyboard

and... done!

Leishi, I will add one hint set:

I build a tmeplate first, and keep the thing simple. I use almost exclusively tables. Attached is a base template you can start with, you will want menus but they can be in pure HTML with no problems-- as this progresses, look at http://www.johndanielsonii.com/ for the top and bottom menu structure adn view it as source in a browser after browsing and noting I simply invert background for current page. I build a base page with too MANY tables, then I cut out whjat I do not use.

I stuck a starter structure up that is not yet linked in, for a troubleshooting tree, but take a look at http://www.johndanielsonii.com/pctriage.html for a base idea of how a site can be structured with a substructure. The pctriage subtree is in a subfolder of the site tree itself. To check the structure and links, look at the link code I use, again viewing pages as source, then see how the references and naming of files are done.

This site will work with ANY browser in use, I use code common to about 95% of browsers in use out there now. In some cases, I have what seems to be too little code, and in others I have what seems to be duplicates as IE and other browsers based on other base techniques interpret code differently. I CSS only the body text right now, and leave the headers as explicitly coded html text parms.

The one BEST book on HTML is by Danny Goodman, he wrote the second edition of his Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference in 2001 and it was published in 2002. It is by O'Reilly and Asscoiates and covers HTML 4, CSS and CSS2, DOM differences, and some Javascript. About 1,401 pages to end of the 57 page index, which is well done as well as the rest of the book. BooksAMillion had this book on thier website for less than $40.00 USD recently, including shipping as I ordered it wth other books I wanted.

John D.
    edited March 2004
    that is a good idea, i would love to do a web site on the babe thread, hehe, but in the teacher's direction, he stated no half naked people. and for the anime i dea, i only watch very few animes, so i probably will not do that one. currently the computer hardware spec one sounds the best, because i think i know fair amount of knowledge about it, won't be too hard to find informations and such.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2004
    Those are great ideas from Ghoodsum and prof. Pick a topic you know something about.

Just beware of getting too much info from one or two other sites, and your webpage just becomes a carbon copy of theirs. Try to make yours different from what you see, use as many of your own original graphics as you can, and type your own text in your own words.

Post the pages here as you get going so we can review them with you. Good luck!

Dexter...
    edited March 2004
    thank you very much ageek
    i took a look at the template you posted, but here is some requirments of the website.

Each page must have a navigation bar
    navigation bar must always have a link to the home page
    each page should have a back to top feature
    tables should be used through out the web site
    DHTML must be used
    mouse over muct be used for all pictures and images.
    all pictures must be associated with the images folder.

your template looks like something what i'm looking for, but lacking the navigation bar if i'm not mistaken.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Make a detailed "how to overclock" website.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Dexter wrote:
    Those are great ideas from Ghoodsum and prof. Pick a topic you know something about.

Just beware of getting too much info from one or two other sites, and your webpage just becomes a carbon copy of theirs. Try to make yours different from what you see, use as many of your own original graphics as you can, and type your own text in your own words.

Post the pages here as you get going so we can review them with you. Good luck!

Dexter...

What I do for detailed specs, and will be doing on my sites, is linking to mfr docs for things. Reviews get out of date, and are based on partly one or two people doing tests on one box in one environment and set of video card, etc for any one review. So, I tend not to link to reviews, rather I link to sites that have two things:

Sites with searchers that are decent OR very well organized and easy to navigate sites.
    People who have been around for the longer haul doing reviews. Those kinds of folks have deeper experience knowledge, and know that the individual milage can vary and are careful to show things that will vary in terms that make sure to explain what the conditions are and what specific things work and why they work.

http://www.anandtech.com/
    http://www.extremetech.com/
    http://www.hardocp.com/
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/
    http://www.shortmedia.com/
    are examples.

Any info I get from other sites I cross-check against these sites typically. So, a link page that explains why the links are there with a link to major sites is a good thing for a tech site to have. Specific links can vaorize with time and at random-- each websmaster wants to make things better and better, and as the site grows it gets VERY complex and links within site get reorganized. So, specificly linked Link Pages have a heavy built-in maintenance burden with them. I would rather go for content with overall time-tested quality and reliability and not specific links that have to be very often reworked. They should be your favorites that you can explain WHY they are your favorites in a sentence or two each or at most a paragraph.

John D.