Anybody have VCD experience?

LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
edited June 2003 in Internet & Media
Anybody knowledgeable with VCDs? Burned a movie recently that plays fine on the computer...stuck it in the DVD player at the father's house and the image was skipping. Its VCD/SVCD compatible so I was kinda baffled. It looked as if it were black and white and the vertical hold was off, so the image was kinda skipping vertically. Sound was fine...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2003
    Try this site to see if anything can help you. I've had that problem too and I used Nero to burn the disc.
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
    Probably you should use some other piece of software to convert your video file to mpeg1 or use some other burning software.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    One good tip is actually to burn the vcd with lower write speed. My cdr supports up to 48, but on video i use 16. No problems at all. Worth a try.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2003
    I burn at 12X on my plextor and on my latest VCD, near the end of the first disc, the video and audio are off track. I have no problems burning audio. I'll take note to burn at a slower speed, maybe 4X for my next VCD.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Lawn, was that vcd made in Pal perhaps?

Pal is 50 hertz and the American/Asian etc is 60 hertz framerate. Maybe your tv isn´t compatible to show pal signals from that scart or svhs out? That has happened to me several times when i want to play an American disc.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    I've heard the slow burn idea, I'm gonna give that a try. I'd have to say it was probably ntsc...tis a bootleg, of a US movie, so I'm assuming. Though that could be it too. Not a huge prob but it would be nice if I could get it runnin in the dvd player at my father's.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Did you make it an mpg file. You have to convert it then burn it.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/8587
    http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/burning.html

I just happened to look it up myself.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    It came preset with bin's and cue files. It has an Mpeg2 folder on the cd with mpg files within. Also has a SVCD folder.
  • AlphAAlphA Salt Lake City
    edited June 2003
    I've found it best to keep my SVCD bitrate to around 1250 for the video. Anything more would make my Apex player skip during play. This might be what you're seeing. Of course, dropping the bitrate would entail you re-encoding the mpg and recreating the SVCD. That's gonna take some time.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Ah, it's an SVCD.

Your DVD player doesn't support SVCD right off. Mine doesn't.

Here's the solution!

Using ISObuster, extract the MPEG files from the bin files to the HDD.

Download a program called TMPGEnc by Pegasus Software and open up the MPEG tools section in the files menu.

Go to the Multiplex tab, and select the video, set the output to something like: AVSEQ001_FIXED.mpeg.

The most important part is to select MPEG-1 VIDEO CD.

Run the process (only takes a few minutes per disc). It will give you a buffer overflow error at the end of the process, ignore it. It's still OK.

Using NERO, go back in and create a new VCD project (not SVCD). Drag and drop the first file, and tell it to turn off standard compliance and continue.

Repeat the process for each disc.

What you have effectively done is tricking your DVD player into thinking it's playing a VCD, when in actuality, it's an SVCD. I have to use this trick on my DVD player (Panasonic RV-32) to get SVCDs working.

It's not because it's PAL, it's not because it's the wrong FPS, it's not because it's not an MPEG file (It wouldn't have played at all, Mmonnin), it's not because the bitrate is too high (SVCDs can play up to 2600 kbits, and DVDs are MPEG2 (Like SVCD) at an even higher bitrate in both audio and video).

It's simply because DVD player companies often enjoy blocking SVCD playback because they know it's the most common format used for pirating film (Because it has such nice audio, and high quality video). They leave VCD intact (If it's not a pathetic Sony player) because it's crappy and rarely used.

The trick simply is rewriting the information header on the file from SVCD to VCD, effectively telling the DVD player that it's using a VCD. As far as the structure of the CD is concerned, it really is a VCD! But the files inside aren't. It just knows it's capable of decoding it and playing it back...So it does.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Thrax said
    Ah, it's an SVCD.

Your DVD player doesn't support SVCD right off. Mine doesn't.

Here's the solution!

Using ISObuster, extract the MPEG files from the bin files to the HDD.

Download a program called TMPGEnc by Pegasus Software and open up the MPEG tools section in the files menu.

Go to the Multiplex tab, and select the video, set the output to something like: AVSEQ001_FIXED.mpeg.

The most important part is to select MPEG-1 VIDEO CD.

Run the process (only takes a few minutes per disc). It will give you a buffer overflow error at the end of the process, ignore it. It's still OK.

Using NERO, go back in and create a new VCD project (not SVCD). Drag and drop the first file, and tell it to turn off standard compliance and continue.

Repeat the process for each disc.

What you have effectively done is tricking your DVD player into thinking it's playing a VCD, when in actuality, it's an SVCD. I have to use this trick on my DVD player (Panasonic RV-32) to get SVCDs working.

It's not because it's PAL, it's not because it's the wrong FPS, it's not because it's not an MPEG file (It wouldn't have played at all, Mmonnin), it's not because the bitrate is too high (SVCDs can play up to 2600 kbits, and DVDs are MPEG2 (Like SVCD) at an even higher bitrate in both audio and video).

It's simply because DVD player companies often enjoy blocking SVCD playback because they know it's the most common format used for pirating film (Because it has such nice audio, and high quality video). They leave VCD intact (If it's not a pathetic Sony player) because it's crappy and rarely used.

The trick simply is rewriting the information header on the file from SVCD to VCD, effectively telling the DVD player that it's using a VCD. As far as the structure of the CD is concerned, it really is a VCD! But the files inside aren't. It just knows it's capable of decoding it and playing it back...So it does.

Good stuff, I'll give that a whirl a little later tonight! The player says it supports SVCDs...but who knows.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    So does mine. :rolleyes:

I get annoyed by that every time.

If it's a copy of Matrix: Reloaded, no matter what trick I try, it won't play on mine either. But you didn't read that here.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Mayhaps its some kinda anti-give it to your friend protection! :mad: