Anything in explorer is slow

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited March 2004 in Science & Tech
I dont know whats going on here. It takes a wicked long time for anything in an explorer window to load. It took about a minute and a half to load the page after you click "New thread". You guys have any ideas why this is like this? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    anything to fix this???

yes, download mozilla.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Or Firefox 0.8, or Opera 7.23.

But, look for adware and Alexa links, and trojans and viruses and worms on box if loading another browser does not massively help. Also, do a disk cleanup and empty the dang IE cache, IE can save EVERYTHING for up to 30 days if you set things wrong, and lots of surfing can leave you with a GIG of cache for IE to figure out what to do with as it tries to open pages.

Empty the cache, it just gets new stuff. Lots faster. This is true because it simply does NOT have to figure out what to do with all the accumulated stuff it gathers, and also how to index and track it as it gets new stuff and builds pages out of parts.

The Disk Cleanup util can be found in Start|Accessories|System Tools|Disk Cleanup.

John D.
  • edited March 2004
    Start/run/cmd...in command type "ipconfig /flushdns" minus the quotation marks and restart IE and see if that helps.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I had this problem once before... I found a solution that was very simple... I remember slapping myself on the forehead with the thought that I should have come up with the solution much sooner than I had...

unfortunately, I cannot remember what I did, so I'm sure that's a big help.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I do wish people would stop answering "How to fix..." with the answer to download another vendor's iteration of the same type of product.

Answer the question with a direct fix, or don't bother posting.
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited March 2004
    There was a little in disk cleanup. ;D;D;D

[Ok, I had 3.1 gigs of old files and sh*t in disk clean up. Comp is still screwed up and I cant open the "manage attachments" window to post the picture]

Anyway, it is not my internet only, it is anything that runs in a explorer window. Like "My computer" or "Control Panel", they also take a min or 2 to open up.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    How about scandisk or something to check the HDD? Defrag lately?

Run Atto and see how that does. Sounds like poor HDD performance.
    edited March 2004
    Ill try a defrag tonight and see if that improves anything. I dont think it will because this is the first day this has ever happened. It didnt lead up to this, it just suddenly started happening. As for hdd performance, Kazaa, Outlook express, and Aol open quick and work fine.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    fudgam wrote:
    Ill try a defrag tonight and see if that improves anything. I dont think it will because this is the first day this has ever happened. It didnt lead up to this, it just suddenly started happening. As for hdd performance, Kazaa, Outlook express, and Aol open quick and work fine.

um with Kazaa and AOL....

I'd run Ad-aware or Spybot S&D...most likely got some ugly spyware going on.
    edited March 2004
    WOO HOO. Im all better now. I just ran spysweeper and that got whatever bug I had. THanks guys. O, and heres that pic....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    You didn't read this.... :D
    edited March 2004
    Ive read that before. And it would have taken me half an hour to get to that page.