Western Digital to Launch ATA-133 HDDs

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Apparently Western Digital is soon planning to launch a new range of hard disks, including at least some that will use the ATA-133 standard. This is slightly odd, as many hard drive manufacturers have been more focused on the new SATA standard, instead of the slightly moot ATA-133.
Western Digital will soon launch a very broad range of new products, unofficial sources revealed today. The company is expected to announce a number of HDDs no one probably expected it to announce.
For the full report:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/20030703050303.html

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    That's really strange -- i thought Maxtor was the author of the ATA-133 "psuedo-spec"
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Yes that was what I thought as well. However... well you read the full report. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    No, what the reason for Maxtor to have ATA133 is that appearently all they did was change the seek times while nurfing something else. Which was why their HDD's were never really faster than any ATA100 HDD.

The other Manufacturers knew this, and never bothered becuase it was worthless.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    I thought the reason why other manu's didn't go for it was just because ATA-133 wasn't actually industry certified, and was something Maxtor decided to make up by themselves. I did actually think they owned it. But yea, either way, ATA-133 was kind of pointless.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Maybe WD have discovered something that Maxtor didn´t? Thats the only reason i can see it. VERY interesting though.