Oddity with RH9

TemplarTemplar You first.
edited March 2004 in Science & Tech
I got bored, so I decided to try to learn Linux again :D

Anyway, I'm having an issue with the sendmail service. It either seems to hang or not start at all on startup. I got around it once by going interactive setup and just responding with "No" when it came up. System booted fine. I tried to start it in the gui by itself, and the program just hung. It DID start, but the program crashed (waited a good 2 minutes for it), so I just unchecked it. I remember previous installations I've done, that sendmail would take a bit to start, but it never stalled completely.

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    it's because your hostname is not set correctly, or your hostname and IP address don't match. I know it's something like that. I forgot where your hostname is stored though, I think it's in /etc/hosts. check that file to see. other linux people will know what i'm talking about, but i know this is what I did to resolve this very issue.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited March 2004
    kanezfan wrote:
    it's because your hostname is not set correctly, or your hostname and IP address don't match. I know it's something like that. I forgot where your hostname is stored though, I think it's in /etc/hosts. check that file to see. other linux people will know what i'm talking about, but i know this is what I did to resolve this very issue.

Yeah, I changed that after I rebooted with the new pc name after it gave me an error. Here's the file:
    # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    # that require network functionality will fail.
    127.0.0.1 NameofPChere localhost

And yeah, a backup still remains :)
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited March 2004
    What are you using Sendmail for? Are you trying to setup a server?
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited March 2004
    sendmail is ran at startup by default (I changed that :D ). The description for the service says it's used in (duh) sending Email, but if it isn't required, I'll just drop it from startup. I did no customization during setup :)
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited March 2004
    If you're trying to access your isps Pop and Smtp servers, sendmail isn't neccessary.