MBM5 Help

GobdGobd Seattle, WA
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
What are the socket and diode temps? Do they both measure PC temps just in a different way? If so which one is better to follow for overclocking?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Straight from the horses mouth:
    Alex van Kaam
    MBM Creator

What is the diffrence between Diode and normal ?
    A sensor chip has generaly 3 temperature sensor inputs, these inputs are by default configured to get temperatures from a "normal" thermal sensor.

When CPU's with build in sensors (diode's) came out the sensor chip makers needed to adjust for this because the value given by a thermal sensor at say 30c is diffrent then the value given to the sensor chip by the diode at 30c.

When you select diode readout for a sensor you configure that input of the sensor chip for input from a diode and not from a thermal sensor.

how do you know what you need to select ? well in general if your board has a thermal sensor and you select readout from a diode you will get either a to high temperature or a temperature totaly out of wack (-48 or so). in some cases the bios will also start to beep since when you change the sensor chips input the bios will also get this totally wrong temperature.

MBM will not let you select the same sensor as normal and diode at the same time, the 2nd selection will change back to none. The only way is to set the 1st selection to none, apply and then change it to the 2nd one

-Alex

Last edited by Alex van Kaam on 05-09-2003 at 06:19 PM

I would suspect that the diode temperature is more accurate, since it's built into the chip itself. The sensor could be affected by things like airflow, location, and even something like the sensor getting pushed down away from the cpu a little bit.

Bottom line, though, is I think temperature change is what you really want to monitor. If a 5% overclock results in a 2 degree difference, a 10% overclock results in a 5 degree difference, and a 15% overclock results in a 10 degree difference then you know you are probably about maxxed out for that CPU.

Prof
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited July 2003
    My socket temps are 40C and my diode temps are 61C right now, my case is only 15C. Right now i'm running a 1700+ at stock speeds with a vantec aerflow fan, does the diode temp seem right? Back when ASUS Probe worked it would give me a readout of 35C or lower all the time so both of those temps seem way to high to me.

Right now ASUS Probe says "Can't find LMControl Procedure" or something like that and it won't let me install it again :( Has anyone else ever had this problem?
    edited July 2003
    Gobd said
    My socket temps are 40C and my diode temps are 61C right now, my case is only 15C. Right now i'm running a 1700+ at stock speeds with a vantec aerflow fan, does the diode temp seem right? Back when ASUS Probe worked it would give me a readout of 35C or lower all the time so both of those temps seem way to high to me.

Right now ASUS Probe says "Can't find LMControl Procedure" or something like that and it won't let me install it again :( Has anyone else ever had this problem?

What happens when you try to reinstall Asus Probe?

I don't think 40C is too far off base. My girlfriend's 1700+ runs about 48C (with a crummier cooling system than you have, though).

How did you get your case temp to 15C? That works out to 59F, which is pretty chilly w/o being inside the Arctic Circle.:D

As to the diode temp, I would expect it to be higher than the sensor. I don't have enough personal experience with diodes to tell you if your differential is normal.

Prof

Edit: What do the temps look like in the BIOS?
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited July 2003
    Did you get that 40 degree reading when the CPU was idle or duing alot of work. Seems pretty high if it is idle, especially when the case temp is that low. As for the difference in temps, I haven't used diodes myself, but from what I have read in several forums, the diode tends to average about 20 degress higher than the sensor.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited July 2003
    Haha, those temps were at 100% usage folding gromacs :) Forgot i was even running F@H. At idle (for about 10 minutes now) the socket temp is at 36C and the diode temp is 46C. Those temperatures seem much better but still quite a bit higher then what my old A7N266-VM with ASUS Probe would report, it never reported above 35C at 100% usage. What happened was i took that old mobo out to replace it with my new A7N8X-DX and then the probe didn't work so i un-installed it and tried to reinstall it and it popped up with "Can't find LMControl Procedure" and i haven't found a way to fix it yet but i have trried one or two things. If i install a different way it actually says it can't find an LM75/78 compatible sensor but i know that this mobo has that type of sensor because that is what MBM5 works with.

btw my case is down to 13C now that my CPU is idle. I have no clue how it is getting that low because the room temp is at about 22C right now.

Does anyone have a clue how to get ASUS Probe to work again? I really liked the more simple interface :)
    edited July 2003
    Are you sure you even have a case temp sensor? Lots of Asus boards don't. I don't have anything too cutting-edge, but my old A7V and A7V-133Raid don't. Sometimes MBM5 reports a phantom case temp; I would look to make sure that it's even on the board.

15C would be nice, but unless you've invented a new form of Air Conditioning it's hard to see how your case (with all the heat-producing devices it contains) could be cooler than your room.

Glad to hear that you figured out your temp situation, and VERY glad to hear that you're Folding!:D

Prof
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited July 2003
    profdlp said
    Are you sure you even have a case temp sensor? Lots of Asus boards don't. I don't have anything too cutting-edge, but my old A7V and A7V-133Raid don't. Sometimes MBM5 reports a phantom case temp; I would look to make sure that it's even on the board.

15C would be nice, but unless you've invented a new form of Air Conditioning it's hard to see how your case (with all the heat-producing devices it contains) could be cooler than your room.

Glad to hear that you figured out your temp situation, and VERY glad to hear that you're Folding!:D

Prof

MBM5 is too complicated for me to set up :) I just got some pre-built .ini files for my motherboard from someone else so i am assuming that he made the files right and that the A7N8X-DX has a case temp sensor... oh well i'll just live with it untill i can find out how to fix the asus probe.