Synaptic folder.

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited April 2004 in Spyware & Virus Removal
There should be nothing in thisw folder, and it should not exist, unless you have a device from Synaptic. One pattern I have seen is this:

A lot of the HijackThis threads have entries for Synaptic in them. I will bet a 90% bet that not all the users submitting the threads with logs have laptops with Synaptic touchpads or devices powered by Synaptic software on them. IF you do NOT have a touchpad or Synaptic device, kill all entires for that folder also, please. If you do have a touchpad, leave them there, or try reloading the mfr drivers FROM CD or floppy if after you leave them there the OmegaSearch type things reappear.

This looks like a hybrid attack, similar to Bonzi Buddy, which at that time was by BonziBuddy Corp. IT made extensive usage of, and corrupted, the Microsoft Agent functionality. Bonzi Corp still exists, and still makes software that can be used to misuse Microsoft Agent. MY XP box does not have Microsoft Agent present, it has not been Omegasearch infected, EVER.

John D.

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2004
    John,

do you think it is coincidental that "Synaptic" sounds a lot like "Symantec" ? ;) Trying to fool the masses, I'd wager....

Dexter...
This discussion has been closed.