Noob question

robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
edited April 2004 in Science & Tech
I have a d-link router connecting two pcs to a cable modem. both pcs are running xp pro with sp1. So far I have shared folders for each pc. How do I configure the workgroup?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Workgroup gets SAME name, boxes get different unique box names. BUT, I hope you have firewalls on each box or a router that is firewall capable, there. AND very much limit what is shared between boxes.

John D.
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
    edited April 2004
    Ageek wrote:
    Workgroup gets SAME name, boxes get different unique box names. BUT, I hope you have firewalls on each box or a router that is firewall capable, there. AND very much limit what is shared between boxes.

John D.
    I went through the xp set up small network thing on both units and put the same name in the workgroup name field, but I never created a workgroup. I really feel like I've missed steps.
    *edit* yes, all nodes and router are firewall enabled.
  • edited April 2004
    Use your networking wizard on both pcs, it'll setup a network bridge on each pc alowing them to see each other...I use a pc as a router and connect them together using a crossover cable and I use the wizard and it works like a charm each time, just tell the wizard that both pcs connect directly to the 'net and that they are part of a small home network and let it choose the connections.
    Good luck.
  • d-rawlingsd-rawlings Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
    edited April 2004
    Yeh madmats right, I have 3 machines and a laptop on my home network all on XP Pro. I have 1 machine which is connected to ADSL 24/7 and shares the ADSL connection around my small network. If you run the wizard to set up a network connection it asks you for a "workgroup" name. You must run the setup on all machines connected to your network and state the same workgroup name on all machines, then reboot after the setup has completed.

Thats all you have to do!

Good look man!
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
    edited April 2004
    Excellent! Thanks guys!