Some Great Feedback for Short-Media

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited April 2004 in Community
For those of you who have not been following the numerous "Omegasearch" browser hijack threads in our new Security Discussion Forums, since we wrote our Omegasearch Removal Guide a week ago, we have become a very popular destination for people who's computers have been infected by the Omegasearch Hijack. This hijack has some random file names, so a "one-fix-fits-all" solution is not practical. Fortunately, the random naming fits some patterns, and our Omegasearch Posse (PrimeSuspect, Mondi, Mr. Kwitko, Shwaip, myself and a few others) have become very adept at spotting them, and fixing the problems.

If you have not seen this yet, go to Google, and type in Omegasearch. Check out results 1, 2, and 3 :) We are getting a lot of traffic at the site because of this problem, and our ranking on the search engines.

I wanted to share with you all some of the feedback from some desperate PC users who have found help here on Short-Media:

What a great team you lot are, got rid of it in seconds when i've been trying for two days.

THANK YOU

Clive

hwkuser wrote:
Dexter,

Seems we deleted omegasearch!!!!!!!!!!!! Many many thanks.

adam123 wrote:

Thanks for the help... didn't even need to go into safe mode.

big_ecky wrote:

Thanks very much for all your help on this, that seems to be my system cleared of Omegasearch.

Can you suggest how I stop getting infected by this again in the future.

Jeeper wrote:

You're a wonderful human being, mondi.
Five hours after this began, I think IE belongs to me again.
Thanks infinity for the help.

djanni wrote:

Finally managed to get rid of Omegasearch (YAY!)after following your latest instructions ..thank you so much ... I can't believe I did it !

I still have an uneasy feeling that there might still be something lurking that may cause problems in the future. Can you advise if I need to zap anything else ?

Thanks a million ....................and great site !/QUOTE]

Viscio wrote:

it works!
thank you very much

now i reboot and see what happened to omegabanner

whoa i'm free!

thanks you all

kjell wrote:

Glad to have joined the short-media forum, thank you

oloh wrote:

YESS :)

It worked. Thanks a lot, that was a big relief. Thank you.

And I've saved the best for last:

requin wrote:
OK!! I think it worked!!! no more omegasearch!!!! YOU ARE ALL THE BESTS!! its a great pleasure and confort to know some people like you are here to help people like me who do not know everything that happens when they are surfing...

Again many many many thanks!!

This fellow went on to investigate Folding @ Home, and.....
requin wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to your community, I got here for help concerning omegasearch and I got help almost instantly! Dexter suggested I read about Folding@Home and perhaps join team 93. Now the project looks great! That's it! I am folding for Team93!

That last one says it all. By continuing to grow this site and increase our visibilty and reputation as a top-notch tech site, we can also increase something else near and dear to many of us: WU production for Team 93!!

:fold::fold::fold:

Dexter...

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    It is certainly nice to see new faces 'round here, but it's a shame that someone would actually write this malicious spyware...props to you for writing the article in the first place, Dexter.
  • edited April 2004
    This is great stuff and great exposure for short media. Good work to all involved.

KingFish
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2004
    Good post Dexter. :respect: to all of you guys.

They say "any exposure is good exposure", but this is Top Stuff. All genuine. :woowoo:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    I've been following most if not all of the omegasearch threads. You really nailed it with this one. Great job, Dexter!