MSN XXX Popups...

Rush2004Rush2004 Newbury
edited April 2004 in Spyware & Virus Removal
Recently i keep getting MSN pop-ups from girls with XXX material on them, they show up in the background of games and such,

I was wondering is there anyway of getting rid of these, i am running Windows Messenger 4.01, is this a virus or something Norton doesnt detect anything :P

Can anyone help or is there a patch that can sort this problem out :)

Cheers All

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Widnows Messenger service, and MSN Messenger are two different things.

From the version, I think you are looking up Windows Messenger Service version-- if not, your MSN Messnger needs to be upgraded if your version of Windows and your hardweare will support that. Note that Adaware 6.0, SpybotS&D, and HijackThis can find a lot of the junk that causes this-- try those, name search on google and you will find them by that name with links to the folks that write them and provide def sets for them. BUT, if you are not a user on a LAN, you can disable Windows Messenger Service and still have MSN messenger work. Try that also, and if you need to know how to do this, several people here know how.

Couple questions:

Are we working with XP, or 2000, or an earlier Windows???

What do you know about the hardware in the computer itself??? DirectX 9.0 is NOT compatible with all older hardware, especially the 3D part. The latest MSN Messenger and Media Player prefer DirectX 9.0b for best results. Your hardware might be very much unliking this version of DirectX if you were to load it, and you might get other headaches trying to load it.

So, info you can give about these two things might help to avoid a lot of problems that over the years have left me thinging seriously about pulling hair out a few times, and frustrated as heck also.

John D.
  • Rush2004Rush2004 Newbury
    edited April 2004
    :Rocker: thanks m8 worked a treat :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Post your HiJackThis log here, and we'll be able to take care of it.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Rush2004 wrote:
    :Rocker: thanks m8 worked a treat :)

Happy that stopped THAT. Please do run the programs I mentioned, get the latest defs for them before running them, and post your HijackThis log. That will kill other nasty things or at least tell you that you don't have other problems on the computer also.

For Adaware, I use http://www.lavasoft.de/ and it will default to English when surfed to from English Windows boxes. Tell it update itself, you will get a def set dated in April of this year.

Lavasoftusa is inactive at this time and http://www.lavasoft.de had the most recent def sets first over the last two-three years anyway.

John D.
    edited April 2004
    here it is adaware didnt seem to get rid of the pop up's after all, it did however delete about 10 files :S

Thanks for the help all...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 09:22:35, on 20/04/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\Rush\LOCALS~1\Temp\EBU43.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Rush\My Documents\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {AE1C01E3-0283-11D3-9B3F-00C04F8EF466} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/heartbeat.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EEFD4302-E117-4A77-924C-41F052492EF0}: NameServer = 194.72.9.55 194.74.65.85
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2004
    Do your Pop-ups have images in them? Or all they just text, like the pic at the bottom of this post?

If they are just text like the one below, it is easy to fix your problem:

- Click Start > Run and type "services.msc" (no quotes) in the Open: line and click OK

- In the right pane, scroll down to Messenger.

- Double click Messenger and click the General tab.

- Under Service Status: click the Stop button.

- In the Startup Type: drop down box, select Disable.

- Click Apply and OK.

Dexter...
    edited April 2004
    nice man thanks :)

does that stop Win XP loading it auto when PC is first turnt on aswell?

once again thx for the help....

Rush :thumbsup:
    edited April 2004
    If those are the kinds of pop-ups you are getting, yes, it will stop it even after you reboot. This fix disables that portion of Windows from booting up.

Is that the type of pop-ups you were getting? Or were they different? Did they have images in them?

Dexter...
    edited April 2004
    Also, do you recognize this program name?

C:\DOCUME~1\Rush\LOCALS~1\Temp\EBU43.exe

It is a file running from in your Temp directory, which is unusual. If you do not recognize this file, I recommend you delete your Temp directories.

Dexter...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Get rid of this, it's a trojan:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    edited April 2004
    No images in the pop-ups just the one you took a screen shot of, has solved it thanks :)

Ive deleted the above^^

Cheers all
This discussion has been closed.