Good Downloading Sites

XanderXander (See Avatar)
edited April 2004 in Gaming
I am sick and tired of starting downloads that take 2 hours on cable and then getting the timed out message when it is 90% finished :banghead: . Do you guys know any good, fast sites that I can download demos and patches from?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Xander wrote:
    I am sick and tired of starting downloads that take 2 hours on cable and then getting the timed out message when it is 90% finished :banghead: . Do you guys know any good, fast sites that I can download demos and patches from?

Well, what kind of patches, and as for demos and shareware and some freeware try http://www.tucows.com which is in fact a US-Based mirror network in and of itself. They have about 100+ mirro servers, you tell teh main site where you are geographically, and it shows you the active mirrors of itself in your area. If you take a cookie, you will then go to the local mirror all the time, and can always go back to the main site as above, and get a different mirror choice cookied if one proves to not get mirrored often enough. Note the numbers next to the mirrors, they are mirror refreshes that as of last time I was there were number of mirror refreshes per day.

Tucows uses COW ratings, 5 cows is best from user input and number of downloads stats. No, I am NOT kidding, this is not a spoof post.

Next idea is this. CNET, aka http://www.ct.com.com has a downloads area that is reasonably fast and reliable. No, the double .com is NOT a mistake. They own a class A network themselves. Get into their downloads area, they are reasonably fast. that is one reason WinZip redirects you to them if you choose a downloads.com download. They own and operate downloads.com. Both are public and free.

Depending on what you want, I can come up with more specific servers, and the next question is what are you using to download??? Both will be faster from Mozilla or Opera than from IE-- no they are not biased, Mozilla and Opera simply have better download clients than IE.

Look also at FTP Voyager, it comes with a preloaded FTP server link set that covers most of teh areas common to users, although FTP will be something most folks find semialien to do directly. The trick is to stay in pub areas of ftp servers that accept anonymous logins, pub is short for public. Dierect dedicated FTP can give you tremendous throughput increases. Opera and Mozilla use true FTP if possible, not what is called Trivial FTP or FTP piped through an HTTP hookup as IE has and does do.

I have gotten downloads, for example, of well over 250KBYTES per second from some FTP servers-- average, for a full Linux ISO set download of public Linux versions, and that comes out to about 700 MBytes of data transfered and on HD in less than 1.2 hours-- over Comcast.

Also, look at http://www.ibiblio.org/ at night. That is a site that is run by the University of North Carolina's high technology computing area. Actually, it is a cluster. It is browsable from IE, again Mozilla and Opera are faster. This site is busy, very popular. When hyper busy it is slow-- when not so busy it blazes. This site will tell you to use Mozilla or something other than IE, and tell you pure ftp will be faster-- and Opera and Mozilla can download via pure FTP and browse at the same time and do both at once faster than IE can just download anywhere but from Microsoft themselves by a long shot.

REASON???? LOTS of the FTP servers are Linux, Solaris, Unix, or BSD boxes, and both Mozilla and Opera were made also for use in that O|S world. AFAIK, FireFox still has the FTP client from Mozilla in it, if you want something smaller than Mozilla and Opera, and it is a subset of Mozilla itself and functions well for downloading of the FTP kind. You DO NOT have to make any of these browsers your default browser to use them. If you like IE, let it stay your default browser, get a browser that runs on your O\S which is made to be compliant with ftp servers and it will do that well.

while you are looking for ways to get better throughput, look at this site:

http://www.alltheweb.com/

and see if the ftp searcher is still up and active there. It is kinda like a subset of google, not all mirrors will be listed, but it can be searched by name and will give specific mirror links from a browser.

So, what are you looking for??? More specifically??? Again, I can tell you better when I know what you want, though do not source illegal stuff at all. But those should get you started.

One further side note, free Opera has a resumable FTP client built into it.

John D.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I rip the filename from fileplanet, then use www.filemirrors.com
  • edited April 2004
    Use getright. Downloading the latest 768MB version of desert combat is a must for using it. If not, use some type of resumable client and it'll save you a lot of headaches.

KingFish
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I generally use Fileplanet. I'll just wait my turn in line if I'm not in a hurry because their servers have always been reliable for me. If not do what Thrax said, and even the games main website. You'd be surprised how many people don't use that.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    I rip the filename from fileplanet, then use www.filemirrors.com
    What he said, but if I'm gonna download like 400mb for as demo, I might as well get the whole game ;):crazy:
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    Use getright. Downloading the latest 768MB version of desert combat is a must for using it. If not, use some type of resumable client and it'll save you a lot of headaches.

KingFish

LOL, I'm in a gamming clan with a server at "theplanet" with uber fast d/l's for that!
  • XanderXander (See Avatar)
    edited April 2004
    I have been trying to download the 2 Call of Duty demos and the UT2004 demo. I have been trying from fileplanet.com and filefront.com but i get timed out every time.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    edited April 2004
    I tried all the sites you provided me with but I still get timed out.
    edited April 2004
    I'm guessing it's a problem on your side. Try calling your ISP.
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited April 2004
    www.gamespot.com Sign up for a basic membership. Get the download manager. Download things WICKED fast from here http://dlx.gamespot.com/ . Since its a dload manager, you dont need to worry if you timeout or get disconected.
    edited April 2004
    Thank you very much Fudgam it finally downloaded at a pretty good speed. :woowoo: :beer: