Windows XP & Windows Update

hoojhooj Bournemouth, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Ok so I've just upgraded to Windows XP from 2000. The copy I'm running had SP1 rolled into it.

Anyway the question is can I download patches and fixes from Windows Update or will it screw my system if I do, like it would if I tried to install SP1?

Another thing that I cant seem to fix is that in Internet Explorer I cant seem to change the default homepage. I've tried setting it to blank and to other sites but everytime I close it down and restart it the homepage always gets reset to MSN. Is there another way to change this which will make the change permanent?

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    You shouldn't have a problem updating and for the homepage I think a way around that is adding -nohome to the IE shortcut. "C:\Programs...blah,blah\internet explorer.exe" -nohome
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Also forgot....don't download update 811493: Security Update. It really slows the machine down.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Well, if you have been one of those unfortunate few who have mistakenly purchased a pirated copy of Windows XP off some rogue trader, then you can only try Windows Update and see if it works. If updates are displayed then it is safe to download and install them. As far as I am aware no update from Microsoft, not even SP1 will damage your system or OS installation, it will at the very worst, just not install. So there is nothing to worry about in that department.

As for your IE problem. The below should help you out.

Cheers

1) Start - Run and type regedit.

2) See if this key is present: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Control Panel\HomePage

3) If it is, delete it and reboot.

or...

1) Start - Run - type regedit and press ok.

2) Click on the + signs to the left to follow this path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Microsoft - Internet Explorer - Main

3) In the right-hand pane, you'll see a string with a value name of Start Page. Double-click on it to bring up the edit box, then enter the homepage - e.g. http://www.short-media.com

4) OK it and close the registry editor.
  • hoojhooj Bournemouth, UK
    edited July 2003
    Thanks for the response guys, the -nohome flag worked a treat thanks.

Just about to try downloading some updates and see what happens.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Also try setting the homepage to -

about:blank

See if that works.

NS