ABIT's new Windows BIOS flashing utility

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I happened to see this while on ABIT's website. Its their new utility to update your BIOS while in Windows. Based previous experience with those who have used something like this with Asus, is it a good idea to be using it?
FlashMenu™ is a Windows Application for one-click to download and flash bios under Windows. FlashMenu™ could do

1. Save BIOS.
2. OneClick! Live Update via Internet.
3. Update From File, if you already have the bios binary file
<a href="http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/download_content.jsp?pTITLE=FLASHMENU&#Utility">Flashmenu</a&gt;

Comments

• SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    I utilize the Asus Update software in Windows, allowing the BIOS to be flashed from within Windows.

The software automatically checks for a BIOS update and will download it, perform a CRC check on the file to make sure it is not corrupted and flash your BIOS. Simply restart and change all your BIOS settings back to what you had them at and it's done.

Quite handy :)
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Well I actually haven't tried it yet myself, but if ABIT made it, and ABIT say it works, and ABIT say it's okay, then I can't see why people shouldn't use it.

However, I prefer the manual approach. There is something fundementally concerning about updating your system BIOS while your computer is in full swing. However I'm sure the program has some ingenious (or perhaps not so ingenious) way of getting round that. Perhaps by some kind of 'upon restart flash batch file'. If anyone tries it (the ABIT one that is), or has tried it... report back.

But like I said, I'm sure it's safe to use. And I imagine the convience of it would be a major plus for novices or folk who aren't too comfortable messing around in DOS.

Cheers
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    I feel more comfortable doing an update in DOS.
    edited July 2003
    Whether your in Windows or DOS, once the power goes out, the PC's borked if your doing a BIOS update anyways. :)
    edited July 2003
    SimGuy said
    Whether your in Windows or DOS, once the power goes out, the PC's borked if your doing a BIOS update anyways. :)

Well thanks for that optimistic addition to the thread. I'm glad you're around mate to remind us, of what could go wrong;).

/me starts to test out the new ABIT Windows flash utililty... the lights suddenly go out..:doh::bawling:
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    That's why you purchase a UPS...
    edited July 2003
    Oh right, now you tell me. So now I've got a new PC and a UPS to get... great.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, yea I have a UPS, haven't actually had to depend on it yet, but always handy when there is a power cut and for when you want to confuse the hell out of your girlfriend when all the lights go out, bar your PC.;)
    edited July 2003
    Spinner said
    SimGuy said

Well thanks for that optimistic addition to the thread. I'm glad you're around mate to remind us, of what could go wrong;).

* Spinner starts to test out the new ABIT Windows flash utililty... the lights suddenly go out..:doh::bawling:

Always glad to help ;)

In all seriousness though, I trust the Windows BIOS flash software, as long as your running Windows NT, 2000 or XP. I wouldn't trust it on the 9x series of OS'es... especially WinME.

There's asking for trouble.... BIOS updates on WinMe. Might as well just throw your money out the window to begin with and save yourself the hassle :)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    screw it...manual is the way to go
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I use the windows one for ASUS all the time and it works just fine - can't see why ABIT wouldn't have gotten it right either....
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    This is nothing new at all. Abit have had this feature around for over 6 months......works as a charm.
  • edited July 2003
    Where can you find the ASUS version of this software? A friend of mine would like to try it, and I cant for the life of me find it on the website...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I've flashed my NF7 with this program 3 times in 2 months. Works fine.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Mack terrified me by pointing me to this Flash utility a few months back.

Mack : It works just fine. Close down anything major you got running and flash, then it will reboot.

Shorty : No way. DOS all the way.

Mack : Try it dude. It will be absolutely fine. It works like a charm and doesn't hang or lock up.

Shorty : ooook

... Works like a charm. Flashing your BIOS is always a nervewracking moment. I think this is a good piece of software from my 2 BIOS flashes recently :)
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited July 2003
    I've been using FlashMenu since the first version came out about two years ago. I've also tested most of the beta versions and I haven't had a single bad flash as of yet.

Boards I've used it with: KT7-R / KG7-R / KX7-R / KD7-R / NF7-S

Latest build: ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/flashmenu/FlashMenu120.exe

Warning: do not use it if your system is "heavily" overclocked.
    In that case: reboot, load bios optimized or default settings, go back to the desktop and then flash.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    EQuito said
    I've been using FlashMenu since the first version came out about two years ago. I've also tested most of the beta versions and I haven't had a single bad flash as of yet.

Boards I've used it with: KT7-R / KG7-R / KX7-R / KD7-R / NF7-S

Latest build: ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/flashmenu/FlashMenu120.exe

Warning: do not use it if your system is "heavily" overclocked.
    In that case: reboot, load bios optimized or default settings, go back to the desktop and then flash.

Good advice as always Equito. With all types of flashing, NO overclock.
    edited July 2003
    TheSmJ said
    Where can you find the ASUS version of this software? A friend of mine would like to try it, and I cant for the life of me find it on the website...

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=Tools
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    floppies are on the way out anyways, this eliminates any and all reasons to even have a floppy anymore as far I'm concerned. I can't believe how slow those things are.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited July 2003
    Whether your in Windows or DOS, once the power goes out, the PC's borked if your doing a BIOS update anyways.
    This is the reason I do not dare flashing at the moment.
    My unstable PSU would probably think that the very moment I flash is the best time for a quick reboot. :rolleyes:
    The odd thing is still, it reboots during idle not load? :confused:
    edited July 2003
    kanezfan said
    floppies are on the way out anyways, this eliminates any and all reasons to even have a floppy anymore as far I'm concerned. I can't believe how slow those things are.

Well it certainly is an annoyance having to boot into DOS everytime you want to update your BIOS, but I personally am not quite ready to throw out my floppy drive just yet. I still often use floppies for everyday file transport. And no, that doesn't mean I drive around on a floppy disk everytime I take a CD over to my mates house.;)

MJO said

...The odd thing is still, it reboots during idle not load? :confused:

Well at least it's considerate.:D
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited July 2003
    Well at least it's considerate.

Yes, it is but it seems rather odd that you can play a demanding 3d game putting the biggest load on the psu without any problems.
    And then you quit the game and the "thing" might reboot after being idle for a couple of minutes or a couple hours.
    There is no pattern in the timing of the reboots.
    Sometimes it is while I am surfing it wants to reboot.

Well I believe I am OT in this thread now. :)

Then again a BIOS flash is always sort of a gamble, most of the time it goes as planned but if you are unlucky you might end up with a piece of junk.:aol:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    SimGuy said

I'm sure the CTRL+Home trick still works on most BIOSes.

NS
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    What does the CTRL+Home key combo thing do?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    On some BIOSes, if you put the BIOS on a floppy disk, and hold down that or a similar key combination it reflashes the BIOS, so you dont have to get a new one or anything.

NS