help! RAID 1 recovery

edited January 2006 in Hardware
I stupidly deleted the RAID 1 set (and of course I do not have a current backup) and now my machine will not boot from the drive. I attached a spare drive to the IDE controller loaded windows XP pro (and the Silicon Image drivers) and the machine still does not recognize the drive.
Any suggestions?

The setup is a
ASUS A7N8X 2.0 mobo
2 Maxtor 80GB SATA model 6Y080M0 drives
connected to the onboard Silicon Image 3112A controller

Thanks!

P.S. I've downloaded a demo copy of R-Studio from R-Tools Technology and I'm going to give it a try in the morning.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Oh crap, that's not good.

When you say "deleted", how did you delete it? (sorry, limited exposure to that particular controller, as I hate SI controllers from the NF7-S data corruption a-go-go days).
  • edited April 2004
    Thanks for the quick response. I agree, it doesn't look too good.

To answer your question: I deleted it from the BIOS RAID mgmt screen. There you can create, repair, delete and resolve conflicts. When I deleted the RAID set, I was hoping to "break" the mirror leaving me with a backup of my boot drive... :-(

Great site BTW!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    So you have a boot drive you were mirroring?? and you broke the mirror up by deleting it in your BIOS. Eek. Most controllers allow you to remove a member from an array.

I take it booting off just one of the drives from the mirror isn't working at all??
  • edited April 2004
    Your assumption is indeed correct. Neither of the two drives that were once part of the mirrored set are bootable. To get the machine up in a limited fashion, I installed an old drive and installed a clean copy of XP pro.

I'm really hoping that there is some way to un-foo at least one drive from the mirrored set. In the meantime however, I''ve downloaded a copy of getdataback NTFS from runtime.org. It's a very easy to use, very nice program that appears to be able to let me walk a reconstruct a virtual directory structure for the lost volume. Once I located the files I want I can copy files off one-by-one to another drive. The downside to this approach is that it is very time consuming and once I'm done, I'll still need to re-install windows and all the applications again. That said, some of my old data is better than none!
  • edited January 2006
    This recovered my disks when I broke my raid 1 array.
    1. Just connect one disk
    2. From the BIOS RAID menu, delete the raid set
    3. Boot from a CD containing "Active@ Partition Recovery"
    4. From Active Partition Recovery, use Control+[Enter] to find the partitions. As I only had one partition on the disk, I escaped this after it found the first partition.
    5. Write the updated partition table to the disk
    6. Update the MBR on the disk. I used symatic disk recovery tool, but you can also do it from the XP installation disk.
    7. On the original promary disk, that was all I needed to do. On the secondary disk I had to check and fix disk and partion errors using the norton/symantec tools CD