Decent water cooled psu w/ lotz-o watts

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Anyone know of a decent water cooled psu with 450+ watts?

I'm lost in the crowd :celebrate thanks for the help.

Comments

• SputnikSputnik Worcester, MA
    edited April 2004
    water coolled power supply you say? last i checked they don't exist. they don't need to exist, as air is more then good enough to sink the heat that the mosfets leave behind
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
    Never seen one but havent looked.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited April 2004
    I've never seen or heard of a water cooled PSU.

I'm assuming you want it to be quiet, based on some of the other threads you've posted in. There are some good power supplies with variable fan speed switches. I've got one myself. Not too loud at all, looks kool, and it's got 550 watts.

Here are some power supplies.

This is my power supply.

Sorry, no name brands here, but my power supply works fine.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2004
    Yeah, I just want it DEAD SILENT, not just "silent"

I :banghead: wish :banghead: this :banghead: would :banghead: be :banghead: ea :banghead: si :banghead: er :banghead: to :banghead: get. <---added effect, pause at every syllable, lol
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    zalman has a case called TNN500A that might interest you.

http://www.zalmantech.com/ Look under products. It's only 350w but that's as close as you'll ever get to silent. After that it's ordinary ones and watercooling.
  • edited May 2004
    dont water cool a psu, thats ASKING for trouble.

my mate did it and it was great, - dead silent as you want, until it caught fire and burnt the corner of his room down (could have been alot worse).

dont get me wrong im all for watercooling, but when there is NO point to it, why bother. its a big risk to take, especially when you will still be able to here your water pump / fans / hard drive in your pc anyway still :p
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2004
    Well...

I'm sure this will be done sometime but...omg...a mod in the making? Power supplies are coming with larger and larger heatsinks. Those heatsinks could be drilled lengthwise with several holes. You could then loop each hole in series.

BUT...it's an electrical device and water and electricity do not agree with each other. Be advised that mods to an electrical device can be hazardous and at your own risk.

That being said...you could hook up a flow meter to that PSU water line and if the flow meter were to shut down...the computer would shut off.

How's your welding/brazing experience? :)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited May 2004
    D00D wrote:
    Yeah, I just want it DEAD SILENT, not just "silent"

I :banghead: wish :banghead: this :banghead: would :banghead: be :banghead: ea :banghead: si :banghead: er :banghead: to :banghead: get. <---added effect, pause at every syllable, lol

SVC: Coolmax Fanless 480W ATX Switching Power Supply or ZALMAN Noiseless ZM400A-APF 400W P4 Ready Power Supply
  • edited May 2004
    Watercooled PSU, you say?

http://www.z-web.be/cc/cc/product_info.php?products_id=1138

*drool*... If you get it, let me know if you like it. If so, I might switch to water cooling quicker than I planned. Just wish it came with SATA. Don't wanna go back to those adapters... hmm... wonder if I could just cut the SATA connectors off my current PSU and do a little snip and tape. Anyway, good luck! And stop banging your head now. :birthday:
  • edited September 2004
    I have a few links for U http://www.watercool.de/ or http://edvextrem.de/

With H20 in Denmark
  • edited September 2004
    And remember not to buy a Psu without at least 20 Amp in 12 volts..
    Enermax 365 = 26 Amp in 12 volt
    Enermax 465 = 32 Amp in 12 volt

And never forget: Morgensutter er ikke noget man tager på fødderne
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    antec makes a nice fanless psu
  • edited October 2004
    D00D wrote:
    Anyone know of a decent water cooled psu with 450+ watts?

I'm lost in the crowd :celebrate thanks for the help.

I'm a noob, here so would like to say hi, and thanks to finding this forum i feel like a little less of a pervert for filling up my psu's with water!

I'm curently hobby building water cooled power supplies and after turning a good few psu's into smelly messes believe i have now progressed from amateur.

My experience of watercooling PSU's is that the main power transistors are not the only sources of heat, and watercooling those alone can make a usable powersupply, but it can still run quite hot possibly damaging itself and overheating your computer. (i have had two psu's burn out other components)

I am currently in at the stage of doing a version 0.5 modification of a PSU rated at 500w, i have converted a 500w (stated) PSU already and have it running faultlessly and believe my method of cooling may actually increase the output capabilites. (bit like watercooling and overclocking)

The current modded PSU is still in the original case, which has been abused to mod and is hence quite ugly to look at, but i'm hoping to solve the problem of rehousing and tidying up with my new version.

these jobbies arent the cheapest to convert, some of the materials are xpensive, and the process is a little time consuming but i'm feeling rather confident about my method and would be happy to offer you one if i manage to tidy it properly without too much extra cost.

i'm estimating the cost to be in the region of around 100 - 150 uk pounds, and my modification adds around 1 - 2 KG to the weight, shiping might be ouch! (i'm trying to reduce this weight quite dramatically)

I was never really intending to go commercial with these, but if theres enough interest i might consider building a few.

Also i'd like to ask around if anyone would know a good way of testing the actual capabilities of a psu, i dont trust the given ratings as far as i can throw them... maybe someone here would be willing to do this?

Tips for those running cooled systems for the peace not the speed (which is my aim)

you dont need the radiator or the pump to be in the computer, they can and should be somewhere else, if you intend to take the heat away completely fanlessly. I have found that my server box running 4 HDD's in a fairly small case had overheating problems when watercooled the cpu and PSU, dont forget about cooling those drives, GFX and possibly chipsets if you are running totally fanless there is no airflow in the case (something i overlooked).

I've rambled on enough,

Hope this helps

James
    UK
  • edited September 2005
    SilentMaxx do a 450w water cooled power supply. It is available in both the uk and usa. From a quick look it appears that the water channel is actually external to the psu and involves heat sinks but doesnt all watercooling. Also if you intended to include this it would increase the water temperature considerably. You also said that you wanted a DEAD SILENT PSU however the temps need to be lowered at some point so some pretty hefty fanless radiators would be required to dissipate the heat silently.

Dave
    UK
  • RabRab
    edited September 2005
    You might want to check this one out... A bit pricey, but I think it woud fill your need.

http://edvextrem.de/assets/kenn.html?http://edvextrem.de/

/Rab
    SE
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    water-cooled psu - awesome! I want one :p
  • edited October 2005
    Hey, I feel your pain man. I've been looking for a quiet PSU for a while now myself - but I need something I can readily buy off the shelf, not make something myself.

The electrical/fire/water problem - FLUID XP+ !!! Pricey but worth it www.fluidxp.com

The Antec Fanless PSU SUCKS. I got a Phantom 500 "fanless" psu and it didn't last a weekend. It does have a fan on it that's supposed to kick on when it gets hot. It never did and died. It was in Koolance watercooled case with a 3.6GHz Intel, 4 gigs of OCZ dualchannel DDR2 and two XFX 7800GTXs... Apprantly, it didn't like that setup...

The Zalman tnn500AF - I've got one I'm working on, but I'm waiting on two more 7800GTX video cards to put in it. This one will be running 4 gigs of Corsair RAM, a AMD 64bit X2 4800+ and two 7800GTXs as well, and we'll see if it can stand up to the heat, none the less the power output. I'm kinda nervous to heatpipe-cool both of the 7800GTXs though, even though I know it would be less strain on the Zalman PSU because it wasn't supposed to take this much power output... Who knows though, we'll see on that one.

If anyone DOES find a liquid cooled PSU, PLEASE let me know. I've seen them out there, just can't find them. And yes, it is worth it to liquid cool a PSU.

-Colin