Intel Next-Gen (Pentium 5?) CPU info

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-1024237.html?tag=fd_top&quot; target=_blank>Intel Next-Gen CPU info</a>

<i>"<b>Prescott</b>, the next big desktop chip from Intel, is slated to come out at 3.4GHz, while <b>Dothan</b>, an energy-efficient chip for slim notebooks, will have a server-size cache (2MB L2) and is expected to debut at 1.8GHz, according to computer industry sources.

<b>Prescott</b>, which will come out in the fourth quarter, will contain a number of enhancements over the current Pentium 4, including new instructions for multimedia processing and a 1MB cache, a pool of memory on the chip for fast data access. Current Pentium 4s have a 512KB cache.

The chip is slated come out at 3.4GHz, according to the sources, and then speed up to 3.6GHz in the first quarter of 2004. It is unclear whether the chip will be sold as a Pentium 4 or be renamed, but history indicates that the architectural changes would justify a new brand name.

Prescott is expected to cost $637 in volume quantities. Although a release date was not specified, Intel plans to cut the prices on its other processors on Oct. 26 by up to 35 percent, the first Pentium 4 price cuts since June. Typically, price cuts and chip releases occur at about the same time. "</i>

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-1024237.html?tag=fd_top&quot; target=_blank>more info here</a>

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Intel should finally just go ahead and name their new chip the Sextium 1...
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited July 2003
    or maybe Hextium?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Overpricedtium? Craptium? I could go on and on :D
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    I will agree with overpriced.

I would agree that the original (400MHz FSB) p4s were crap.

I would even argue that the 533MHz p4s were not enough to pull attention away from AMD.

However, the 800MHz FSB p4s seem to perform pretty well. Sure, they need about 800MHz more speed to really put the hurt on AMD, but they're doing it.

Prescott will further the lead.

I'm hoping the Athlon64 performs better than the opteron in desktop situations, otherwise AMD fans like myself will still probably be able to buy a really quick CPU for a very reasonable price, but we won't be able to get the highest performing.

Considering the Opteron uses ECC and the chipsets are probably optimized for workstation/server tasks, the Athlon64 might be able to pull ahead of the Opteron in desktop apps.

// Edit: forgot . . . just to fall in line w/ the rest of the posts.

PutItInMySystium :D
    Gargoyle said
    Overpricedtium? Craptium? I could go on and on :D
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    i don't know how you people are able to forgive the constant socket changes, which nescessitate new motherboards, cpus, and ram. intel, i hate intel
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The socket changes are the second most easily laughable thing from Intel.

The performance per MHz being the first.