Help Athlon 64bit

edited July 2004 in Hardware
My mates using a athlon 64bit 3000 with a KV*-MAX3 motherboard he finnaly got i working after ram issues but now the bios is reading 80 degress c but when you touch the heatsink it is cold any ideas anyone

Comments

• MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2004
    1) Check your temps in BIOS.

2) Your heatsink could need reseating again. A heatsink that's just off...even the smallest amount...can cause this.

3) You can use Motherboard Monitor as a secondary check of temps.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html

Welcome to Short-Media.com
  • edited June 2004
    As above, also check if there is a BIOS update. I had one of those boards and i was rubbish. Had to get a Giga K8NNXP because i couldn't wait for the NF3 250's.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    KV8-MAX3 is often rated as one of the best A64 boards on the market. I would suggest a BIOS update as well.
  • edited July 2004
    Ive got a MSI K8n neo Plat. and had same problem. With the stock bios it too run 80... but that was under full load. When ya update the bios it should drop it ~20 degree.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    fAEt wrote:
    Ive got a MSI K8n neo Plat. and had same problem. With the stock bios it too run 80... but that was under full load. When ya update the bios it should drop it ~20 degree.
    That's a well known issue with the MSI board. What's worse is the latest BETA bios reports the wrong temperature.. AGAIN :wtf:
  • edited July 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    That's a well known issue with the MSI board. What's worse is the latest BETA bios reports the wrong temperature.. AGAIN :wtf:

ahh yes. They mentioned that on the MSI board... Thats what I havn't updated yet. I was scared half to death when I first saw my temp was at 80c... Since it was my first comp I thought i messed something up...