Computer problem

edited November 2005 in Hardware
everytime i start the computer, it comes up saying that windows didnt start correctly, and gives me the screen with all the choices to boot into safe mode and what not. No matter what choice i choose, the computer just restarts, cant get windows to boot. Any help?

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2004
    we have this same problem on another comp here. first, boot into safe mode. write down the error or stop it comes up with. if it's any of the following, it's something to do with a registy problem.
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 is where i found the information from, but i **HAVE NOT** tried this so i can't say that it will or will not work
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited April 2004
    I would suggest booting to the recovery console from the XP install CD-ROM, Then using FIXMBR to repair the master boot record.
    Here's an overview and link:
    FixmbrRepairs the master boot record of the boot disk. The fixmbr command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console

fixmbr [device_name]

Parameter

device_name

The device (drive) on which you want to write a new master boot record. The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. An example of a device name is:

\Device\HardDisk0.

Example

The following example writes a new master boot record to the device specified:

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

Note

If you do not specify a device_name, a new master boot record will be written to the boot device, which is the drive on which your primary system is loaded.
    If an invalid or nonstandard partition table signature is detected, you will be prompted whether you want to continue. If you are not having problems accessing your drives, you should not continue. Writing a new master boot record to your system partition could damage your partition tables and cause your partitions to become inaccessible.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/recovery_console_cmds.asp
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2004
    I agree with topherice. I had an old system that I put Linux on, the boot manager corrupted the mbr when I tried to put windows back on the system. I did the fix mbr and it booted straight up. I have also used this method here at work on customers computers, works like a charm.
  • edited April 2004
    k thanks a bunch guys, ill give it a try :)

Edit//: worked like a charm :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    I am having a blue screen error. The problem began when I moved a hard drive from my system to a HP notebook that previously ran XP Professional. It will not let me use the Dell CD to run recovery console to fix the master boot. It allows me to run another Windows Professional XP disk from another HP laptop but I don't have the key so I didn't re-install it. Can anyone help in this issue. I am getting error number: 0x0000007b (0xf9c77640.