Need help with a d link router

robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
edited May 2004 in Science & Tech
How do I configure the firewall in a dlink dl-604 for use with soulseek?

Comments

• edited April 2004
    I have the D-Link 704. Total POS, used to crash once every day AT LEAST. Thank god I started using Smoothwall.

ANyways, they are configured similarly. What exactly do you need to do? Open a port? Set a trigger?
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited April 2004
    I got a dlink 614+ it works fine...

what ports do you need open, its pretty simple.

Gobbles.
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited April 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I have the D-Link 704. Total POS, used to crash once every day AT LEAST. Thank god I started using Smoothwall.

ANyways, they are configured similarly. What exactly do you need to do? Open a port? Set a trigger?

I have the D-Link 704 and have been using it for over 2 years and have never had ANY problem. In fact, I can prolly count on one hand the number of times I've had to reboot it.
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited April 2004
    Robby,
    Find the ports you need for using Soulseek and then head into the router configuration page (Usually 192.168.0.1 on Dlink routers). Under the Advanced tab select Virtual Server and set up the ports with your LAN address (192.168.0.x) If this doesnt work you can try opening the ports through the Applications section which is under the Advanced tab as well. ;)
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
    edited May 2004
    I need to open ports 2234 and 5534, I've looked through the configuration utility, but can't figure out where to open ports.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited May 2004
    paroxym should be right...just go to advanced and virtual server and set up a new policy for those ports to your IP.

~dodo
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I have to 504, also a complete POS, if you use the latest firmware it will crash AT LEAST once every few hours requiring a hard reset. It doesn't help that the other firmwares suck.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    topherice wrote:
    I have the D-Link 704 and have been using it for over 2 years and have never had ANY problem. In fact, I can prolly count on one hand the number of times I've had to reboot it.

This reply is to the thread, looks like topherice has what I mention here well in hand. either someone supplied good power and cabling, or topherice did.

D-Link has uneven quality control-- and some readical lemons amongst the good routers of same model. Some individual routers stink, others of same model are excellent.

Netgear also has had some routers come out as lemons and others of same model and rev and subrev working very well. In Netgear's case, a lot of issues have been handled by firmware code flashing of "flaky" router's NVRAM IOS and the solution has proven to be a software one. I had to flash the Netgear I got to get time syncs for internal router clock working right. It was flaky as heck before that, and now is stable as can be. IIRC, the last time I reset it was two months ago.

Couple things to keep in mind-- very even power flow into a small router is needful, it gens time cycles internally from power wave cycles and does not have a battery backed up clock typically, amongst the 4-port type routers or the small mixed-media (wired+wireless) routers. My router here runs off the UPS, client routers ditto, and many problems with small routers vanish when cabling and power are optimized.

In my case, the modem for cable is also robust, it will dump surges and autorecycle as far as sync at need. router than comes back up in an automatic manner also, about 94% of the time. I have to recycle modem more than router, the little Netgear RP614v2 is THAT good. Typically, when I have to recycle modem, I end up calling Comcast tech support and find the IP change has meant a change to a new comm routing gate and the gating server has mis-ID'd the modem so every few months Comcast has to reprogram what the modem is recorded as on their end as far as brand and model.

Cabling, for modern wired routers, needs to be very well made Cat5E cable if you have a Gigabit NIC in a motherboard or as a card on a motherboard. Cat5 is doable, but might produce some flakes as the NICs of gigabit kind cycle on a gigabit clock for connect autochecking and syncing and is more time-sensitive to failure so cable needs to be very good to router from computer. Older NICs of 10\100 kind are less sensitive to this. I use CMX+Riser Cat5E for most cabling needs here, places get too damp in Florida for low-grade cable so even pathc cables are over-speced for best results. A flaky connect on a router will make whole router act wierd, with the small 4-port routers, the software used has to be less robust than that used in Ciscos, which will shut off and ignore a flaky port if set up right.

Just a few things to keep in mind if you appear to get a lemon, and if not you or the network tech or both together are probably doing most of the things I have mentioned already.

John D.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    The issue with the DSL-504s isn't QC btw, it is apparent in every model and is a well known problem. But still, it's enough to make me skip D-Link in future.