is it illegal to back-up ps2 games?

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited May 2004 in Gaming
can i back-up my ps2 games legally? if so how do I do it?

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    You would need a mod chip to play them and if you search google, I'm sure you'll find quite a bit of information. I'm not going to go into detail as there are many different opinions as to the legality of this. Don't want to break any forum rules. :-/
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    It's not complex actually.

If you bought the game, then you own 'useage only' rights to that game.

It is legal to back them up as long as you follow these rules:

Never do anything that would cause you to make money from the copy, or the copying process.

No one else may ever use the copy.

If you sell the original (and thus the usage rights), you must destroy the copy.

If the original is destroyed or stolen, the original usage rights then aply to the copy, but are not transferable to any other party.
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited April 2004
    CBDroege wrote:
    It's not complex actually.

If you bought the game, then you own 'useage only' rights to that game.

It is legal to back them up as long as you follow these rules:

Never do anything that would cause you to make money from the copy, or the copying process.

No one else may ever use the copy.

If you sell the original (and thus the usage rights), you must destroy the copy.

If the original is destroyed or stolen, the original usage rights then aply to the copy, but are not transferable to any other party.

In the pre-DMCA world that would probably be true; however, the Digital Millennium Copyright ACT (DMCA) has done away with much of the "fair use" standards that many of us have become accustomed to. Making a backup for "archival purposes" technically is illegal (Unauthorized Duplication of this Disc Prohibitied); although, I doubt anyone is going to throw you in jail.

As one of the previous posters mentioned you will need to mod your PS2 to be able to use the copy.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
    www.ocomik.net/blog/index.html
  • SputnikSputnik Worcester, MA
    edited April 2004
    ocomik is right, any way of breaking DRM (digital rights management) is completely illegal and (if i remember correclty) punishinble by a multi hundred thousand dollar fine and up to 5ish years in jail. people are fighting this on the betamax case (copying a tv show for private use is legal) and also on the many cases where the betamax case was cited.

and this is why the DMCA sucks
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    oCoMiK wrote:
    In the pre-DMCA world that would probably be true; however, the Digital Millennium Copyright ACT (DMCA) has done away with much of the "fair use" standards that many of us have become accustomed to. Making a backup for "archival purposes" technically is illegal (Unauthorized Duplication of this Disc Prohibitied); although, I doubt anyone is going to throw you in jail.

As one of the previous posters mentioned you will need to mod your PS2 to be able to use the copy.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net

With ROMs, Ocomik is right, and right on all counts. Publishers use the DMCA to get punitive enforcement of piracy accomplished with the help of law enforcement. They tend not to go after the persons who make one copy for themselves to restore thier ROM game if teh ROM fails. With Disks he is right also, again, if you have a safety copy to be used only as recovery, most folks will not raise cain.

Laws are literal (one famous judge once said: "the law is an ass," but he meant it had to be literal to deter and yet at the same time meant that humans had to enforce it), and they are written by humans, who are supposedly reasonable men by and large. Both the Law Enforcement folks and the publishers have too much on their hands fighting big offenders to fight folks who make TRUE "fair use" copies and do not share them to others.

If just for your recovery use this copy is, and you have a legit one already of thing you are copying, real world enforcement has not yet gotten caught up with all the distributors. Literally, it is illegal. The way it is enforced, it is illegal to share copies and also to mod your game box to use illegal copies (the mods typically involve reverse disassembly, which is in lots of EULAs as explicitly illegal also-- and those EULAs are enforceable contracts and the DMCA strengthens what can be done when the contract is broken).

OTOH, you share one to a friend, he shares it, someone then decides to distribute what got burned, and copy code is traced back to you, you could be in for one big huge mountainous heap of major trouble. That situation is why the DMCA in the first place-- too many distributors of pirated code, games and otherwise.

John D.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited May 2004
    anyone know a site thats tells how to copy the game if you own it. Or a program that will do it?
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited May 2004
    Bud wrote:
    anyone know a site thats tells how to copy the game if you own it. Or a program that will do it?

I've been told that Alcohol 120 will do it; however, because my PS2 is unmodded I'm unable to verify this. I believe I located this information from searching The ScreenSavers website on techtv.com.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited May 2004
    is there a mod chip you dont have to solder or crack open your case?