Capturing Motion JPEGS on ZR-70 or ZR-90

J-girlJ-girl Hawaii
edited April 2004 in Internet & Media
Hi again,

I've been reading about both Canon ZR-70MC and the ZR-90.

On the ZR-70 it says you can get either 10 second or 30 second motion jpegs on a MultiMediaCard.

On the ZR-90, it says you can do the same, but ALSO you can tape up to a 60 minute motion JPEG if you use a 512MB SD Memory card.

Would I be able to use the 512MB SD Memory card with the ZR-70MC? Maybe that's a dumb question, but thought I would ask.

Comments

• ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
    edited April 2004
    Hi J-girl

I spent a few minutes reading on Canon's website. They do not list a mximum Memory card size.
    I went and looked at a few good online camera stores, and they are selling 512mb SD cards with the 70MC.
    I dont think it will be a problem.
  • J-girlJ-girl Hawaii
    edited April 2004
    ishiii wrote:
    Hi J-girl

I spent a few minutes reading on Canon's website. They do not list a mximum Memory card size.
    I went and looked at a few good online camera stores, and they are selling 512mb SD cards with the 70MC.
    I dont think it will be a problem.

Thanks!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    60 MINUTES on a 512MB Card? Wow... all I can say is, that will be one ****ty looking video.

I gotta say, don't buy it for that feature... in fact don't even use it if you have it.

Look at it like this, the JPEG's WILL BE COMPRESSED, and you WILL see it clearly. To top it off, it will be at a small resolution, no more than 320x240. I'll look into further, but here is a link to what your Video Quality will look like at best:

Night Shot in my Lab....
    http://www.fusion-dm.net/stuff/MOV00012.MPG
  • J-girlJ-girl Hawaii
    edited April 2004
    RWB wrote:
    I'll look into further, but here is a link to what your Video Quality will look like at best:

Night Shot in my Lab....
    http://www.fusion-dm.net/stuff/MOV00012.MPG

Actually, that's fairly good for my purposes. It just interested me that I could have some short videos to send via email.....but another question.....what would be the suggested max size to not overload someone's typical email account? (as if there is a typical size!)

Is the whole purpose of Motion JPEGs for posting on a website or sending on email? Why wouldn't I just tape regular video and then make a short movie? Or is it the format???

I am also curious about the hookup of the ZR-70 to my Toshiba notebook. Hoping there wouldn't be any serious problems....though I am wondering about having the right ports (firewire connection....or what is the firewire card??).

Sorry for all the questions. You may or may not know the answers, or actually have a life and not want to answer any of these! Thanks for all your help.
    :cool:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    No life, I am a student :P

It should be a USB connection... mine is USB2.0. When I plug it in, my Sony DV Cam becomes a USB Drive accessible via "My Computer". I can just go into the folders on my DV Cam and cut and paste the videos from the device to my real HDD.

FireWire and USB are the two connections used 99% of the time for this type stuff now.

Generally most Emails accounts, especially free one's like Hotmail allow for only 2MB of storage. But if 2MB is the MAX a person can use, then that person may or may not be using some of it already to hold previous emails and attachments. For web though, you can have it within any reasonable size really, unless the poor guy/gal is on DIAL-UP.

To me, I see no reason in recording Motion JPEG's, as you can make your own better quality MPEG with smaller size even sometimes. I shoot in DV, then capture it, and then render it out in After Effects or Quicktime Pro to whatever I want. Unfortunatly, Windows Movie Maker doesn't allow you to encode in anything much more than Microsoft's codecs.

Any other questions? Or perhaps further explaining? I'll be around all day/night. Trying to make a DVD Interface for my project... although I'll just half ass it as the project has already flopped on me.

But for the email thing... I can;t really say. Some people can hav unlimited bandwidth for an email, others will only allow 1MB attachments. So it all depends. Having a good amount of webspace is a must for sharing online, it really pays off in the end.

Also, the connection thing, I don't know what connectiosn your Toshiba has. If it has USB and Firewire, you should be fine.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    heh, I just rewatched my own video posted earlier through the web on a quicktime window, it ain't too bad at default size. Although a bit choppy and small for my likes :P

BTW when you see the color change, I was testing out the Night Shot mode... it's pretty nice, but looses ALOT of color information.