Night Scene -- Let me know what you think.

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited May 2004 in Internet & Media
This is my latest project for a class I'm taking. Everything was modeled and textured in Maya. Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    cool!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I think it needs a render in Brazil.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I find the amount of shadows and reflections to be a little overbusy and unrealistic, though the scene itself is spectacular.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2004
    very good. theres something with the couch that gets to me though... smooth it over, make it less reflective maybe?
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited May 2004
    Looks pretty cool.

However, It looks like the TV is casting a shadow on the floor. The position of the TV on the wall would most likely not cast that kind of reflection/shadow.

Other than that tho its lookin VERY cool.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Going through the reflective stage are we? I don't blame you, generally speaking everyone does.

Some insight however.
    The world always has ambient light, even at night, so there should be soft light entering through the window, it would be very subtle being that it's night time. Loose the lights on the lower wall, with ceiling lights, it wouldn't make much sense to have those, if you decide to keep them, they are overbright. I'd also suggest copying the ceiling lights from one side of the room to the other, it would make more sense, even if they are just bar lights. The floor needs to be planked, no one has a straight wood floor, atleast not that I've ever seen. Add a bump map (Don't remember quite what they are called in Maya, maybe vector map, it adds height and depth to an object without actually creating it, if that helps) This will give the reflection a more realistic look. Add a cutoff to the reflection as well, because the floor after awhile will stop reflecting what it sees simply because the wood floor would distort it too much.

The outdoor image is rotated a little bit, just try fixing that. Smooth the chair down, it almost looks like you're going to sit on some glass spikes. Change the carpet, it looks like you used a 3DSMAX metal texture for it. All the lights in the scene should be generating soft, area shadows since there is no actual direct light in the scene. Finally, decrease the ceiling light intensity.

I'm guessing you're a beginner, so I'm just being very critcal, don't take any offense from it.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2004
    Nolf-Job,

I know how difficult it is to create a photorealistic scene in Maya and Softimage. I think you've done a great job so far. Here's what I've noticed.

Like Nomad did the floor should be made up of planks. They also should be of a set length and not the entire depth of the room...If your room is a virtual 15 foot depth then you wouldn't have 15 foot boards. You'd have 4 foot boards. You almost have to virtually lay the floor.

The reflectivity on the floor is too high. Floors may appear shiny but they don't reflect with mirror qualities.

You may want to change your lens. It's causing distortion which is probably what threw off the city scene and the plasma TV. You'll note that the TV has the illusion of leaning towards the camera near the top of the TV frame. This "bowing" is also what is happening to the city scene.

You may also want to play with the focus of the city scene. This is where you have to experiment. If our virtual eyes are focussed on the room then the city scene will be out of focus creating the illusion of depth. Try holding your finger 1 foot away from your eyes; what happens to the surrounding room? Get what I mean?

What I did like was the ceiling light and the lights on the right side of the image. They do appear more believable to me.

A hint though. You have to think of what lights are actually there; the bulb choice I mean. Are they tungsten? halogen? Tungsten bulbs (like regular 60 watt bulbs) cast a color temperature towards the red. Halogen is more towards blue. You've got yours as white. Now the halogen won't be blue tinge on the wall but the best way is to try it in real life. Observe the differences and how a tungsten bulb interacts with different wall colors during the day...during the night.

Subtlety is the key. Your image is somewhat "overexposed."

Another effect of realism is the plasma tv. Should it be reflecting a light source? I dunno but I'm posing that thought. Look at a picture in any room of your home with a ceiling light in the approximate same position...can you see a hint of the light? How about the wall lights? I'm not saying to put them in...but try to approximate the same angle in real life then transfer what you've learned/seen to the image. Remember that the texture of the plasma screen itself will distort any reflections. Just like you would see on a TV screen that is off.

The windows appear to be convex...I don't know if that is the effect you were looking for.

I know how complex it is to work in Maya and Softimage. No one hear should really criticize what you've done. It's a matter of looking with your own eyes what happens in the real world and working that into the image.

If this is a lighting excersize then your prof will be looking to how you dealt with lighting the models rather than the amount or complexity of the models themselves.

We'd all love to see your re-tweaked image after you've had a chance to absorb what we've suggested. :)
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Maya can be extremely rigid for it's seemingly simple interface, which is why I don't use it for work.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited May 2004
    My first reaction was cool! I like it :)

But. The more I look at it, the more some of the above observations and constructive criticism become relevant. I think it needs more subtlety, particularly the lighting and the height of the padded quilt thingies on the chair.

And I've seen floors like that, tongued and grooved wood veneered flooring, you can get it in them fruity furniture type shops like IKEA. When laid, it looks seamless.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2004
    IKEA has furniture made of fruit?
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited May 2004
    MediaMan wrote:
    IKEA has furniture made of fruit?

Hehe, ahem :buck: Somebody, an American guy I was speaking with, once referred to IKEA furniture as 'fruity' and it made me laugh. The expression kinda stuck with me ever since.

I think it implies that any owner of said fruity home decor may be, how shall we say, somewhat effeminate :eek3:

Obviously not true, cos I'm sitting behind an IKEA computer desk right now ;)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Nolf-Job wrote:
    This is my latest project for a class I'm taking. Everything was modeled and textured in Maya. Let me know what you guys think.

Nicely done. VERY NICELY done. As to flooring, it actually would be good for an older traditional house scene, but MM is right for modern construction "floor of wood" is typically fairly thin veneer or 3\8-1\2" thick board over underlayment with tongue and grooving and would not be single board length for widht or length of that big a room. I have seen floors come in 6-8 foot boards, though. And some of the very much older houses did have PLANK floors with planks 8-12' long by 8-10" wide, often oak. Mostly, because scene is modern the floor should be also-- so 4-6' in places is about right. Lightish wood parquet effect would work also for flooring in this case. Doing that right would show off flat surface perspective skills in 3D imagery building.