Sil3512, defragmenting, freezing, and more

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
You are about to read a story which winds around many differnt options and trials, with no solution.
Any help at ALL is apreciated, as i've all but given up. I was not sure where to post, I figured since I left off in drivers this should work ok.

*cue law and order chime*

Day 1

I ordered a new motherboard and new HDD (SATA 160gb Hitachi HDS722516VLSA80)
My old A7N8X never quite worked right, and I was ready to ditch onboard sound anyway.

Since I get to reformat thanks to a new motherboard, I proceeded to do so and found out that I needed WinXP drivers to use that drive!
well, I got them off the Gigabyte website for my A7N400 Pro 2 Rev 2 motherboard. with the Silicon Image sil3512 controller.

That went fine, Windows Installed, the computer started as normal. During these operations I removed all existing IDE drives to ensure there are no conflicts and to give drive letter priority to the new SATA drive.
I figured i'd create a ghost image, so I installed the basics, my Audigy2 Drivers, Graphics Drivers, etc. Went to create a ghost.. and Crash. No luck, come to find out Norton Ghost does not support SATA drives. At least not with the Silicon Image sil3512 controller.

So, screw the ghost. I then went to defragment... time goes by. And.. hmm. whats going on! My mouse won't respond. I had no idea what was happening. The mouse would only update every 30 to 60 seconds and it was impossible to use the computer. A BSOD came up saying Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error.
I figured it was a fluke, restarted and tryed again with the same results.
During the sequences the Event Viewer showed disk errors
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.
Event 51, Source = Disk
Sometimes 5 to 10 at a time.

Well, I figured it was the HDD.
So RMA we go back to newegg.
A week later, I go through the standard steps.. abit quicker :)

And guess what? Same problems!
grr, I said, I've been defeated.. well not yet at least

I contacted Gigabyte to see if the motherboard could be the source. They got back to me quick and told me its possible if your not having any problems with your IDE drives, which I was not.
So, back to newegg the motherboard went. A week later again, I install the new motherboard.. and I told myself. THIS HAS TO BE IT.
Well.. no

So, emails later I thought.. DRIVERS!
So I investigate, get the updated ones, try to setup the SATA as RAID, as BASE with both types of drivers new and old.
Nope, still does it during defragment. And while trying to cool down playing a game or 2, which seem to work ok. Until It froze during web browsing.. I said to myself "Nope, I gotta figure this out"

and that leads me up to where i'm at now, with no clue what to do now.

Either I managed to get a second faulty HDD or Motherboard (unlikely)
Or, the Hitachi drive does not like my motherboard (possible)
Or, some other freak occurance
Or, its a conspiracy

Does anybody have any input

Other things i've tried
-Complete HDD Scan using Hitachi Utility, Advanced Scan
-MemTest for several hours to ensure its not a memory issue

Link to Motherboard Specs
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0).htm

Computer Specs:

450watt PSU
AMD 3000, Not overclocked at the moment- Temps are good in the 40-45s
1024mb Cas 2 Dual Channel Corsair Ram
Audigy 2 Soundcard
Radeon 9700pro

Running on WINXP with SP1 Installed

:eek2:

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited May 2004
    I doubt it is a driver problem, considering you have an OS up and running on the drive in question. It smells like a hardware issue to me, specifically a faulty hard drive. But like you said, you've already tried a replacement drive and you've ran all the manufacturers diagnostics.

I suggest you gut your system completely, fully format your hard drive (not quick format) and re-install your OS with minimal everything. e.g. one memory stick, no non-essential PCI cards (e.g. ditch the Audigy).

Try that, make sure you're using the latest SATA drivers (v1.0.0.47 the last time I checked), the latest chipset drivers and also swap out your SATA cable as well.

Is the PSU okay? Think basics, re-install like I said above and then post back.

Cheers
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Possible bad SATA cable. POSSIBLE IRQ conflict within storage type devices IRQs or against a USB device or root hub IRQ if mouse is USB also.

If keyboard and\or mouse are on an external USB hub, take them off, plug right into box. If you get a device I\O lock in a USB device on a hub due to a flaky USB cable, hub can lock, and if same IRQ as SATA, XP can fault SATA. Hope all this is not true, ran into it a few times.
  • edited May 2004
    Some good ideas, I have a MS natual keyboard with USB hub, so I connected the mouse to the computer and disconnected the hub function.. no such luck, still does it.

I guess its time to start simple, and format with minimum stuff. i'll post back with results, thanks
  • edited May 2004
    Ok, I reformatted the computer with nothing in it but my ATI Radeon 9700 and my Sata Drive.
    I replaced my PSU with a thermaltake purepower 480.

Well, same problem.

The device, \Device\Scsi\si31121, did not respond within the timeout period.

followed by

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

the IDE drives are not installed, only the IDE CD drive.

At this point.. i'm about to give up, return my sata drive and go back to IDE. 3 weeks of this is not worth anything.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Sounds like your SATA controller is perhaps going wonky.
  • edited May 2004
    Hmm, so I got 2 defective motherboards?
    Or should I just exchange the motherboard for another type?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    Suikoguy wrote:
    ...Or should I just exchange the motherboard for another type?
    That might be worth a shot. Sometimes a bunch of perfectly good hardware just doesn't want to work in that particular combination. It's possible that a different model or brand might make all the difference.

Good luck!
  • edited May 2004
    Well, it was just some strange imcompatibility.
    I changed out to my old motherboard, which had SATA (same chipset).
    And it works fine, with no errors at all with the same hardware/ram/etc

By far the strangest thing i've seen in all my years of computers.

Thanks for the input, I certainly learned a lot, even thought there was no way to fix it.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited May 2004
    Suikoguy wrote:
    Well, it was just some strange imcompatibility.
    I changed out to my old motherboard, which had SATA (same chipset).
    And it works fine, with no errors at all with the same hardware/ram/etc

By far the strangest thing i've seen in all my years of computers.

Thanks for the input, I certainly learned a lot, even thought there was no way to fix it.
    Glad you got to the bottom of it mate. :)
  • edited March 2005
    I'm getting these same errors. when I put my sata drive in, it completely locks up my computer after a few minutes. I had this problem with an epox motherboard and a 120gb sata western digital hard drive in windows 2000. I returned the motherboard after I had bios problems with it. I tried the drive in a gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 motherboard with a new power supply, new athlon chip, 2 new crucial 256mb sticks run in dual channel ddr. I still had the same problem, with basicly a whole other brand new computer, so I got rid of that drive. I just got a seagate 200gb sata drive and put it in my gigabyte system. I didn't even get the drive formatted when it locked up.. I'm pulling my hair out with this problem. I've tried base and raid modes also. don't know what to do. I really need a new drive for the space and I wanted sata for the preformance, but this is crazy. I haven't had it working once yet with all I've spent on it. what should I do?
  • edited April 2005
    I think I got it!!!

I updated my silicon image controller driver and still had problems. I was reading on another forum someplace about this same problem and I saw someone kept saying to think simple and keep thinking simple. so as a last thought.. I shut down my computer and I grabbed a can of contact cleaner (found at radio shack, $10 but very useful) and sprayed it in the sata cable ends, then plugged it in and out a few times then wiped everything off. would you beleve the same problem I had with 2 brand new motherboards, 2 brand new sata drives, and a bunch of brand new sata cables was just dirty contacts :confused:

I've been running the drive for a half hour now, and even copied 20gb to the drive without a problem yet. looks like it's working :D I hope this post helps someone out oneday. keep in mind. contact cleaner is not cheap, but somehow, it works wonders. good luck everyone :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2005
    could you tell me if its still working? the contact cleaner thing? ..cause i am having the same problem
  • edited May 2005
    unforgiven wrote:
    could you tell me if its still working? the contact cleaner thing? ..cause i am having the same problem

no.. it worked a little bit but still had a lot of problems. I gave up on sata :( I returned my drive and got a 200gb maxtor ata133 drive. I can notice the preformance loss, but I also notice the huge reliability gain.
  • edited May 2005
    damn ..i was now about to order a can of dust off :( .......real plenty ppl is having this same problem with sata i also went back to my 80GB ata ........but it took about 2 months or more for me to first start getting this problem ....and had actually come to a conclusion that it was a via probelm casue i see alotta ppl having the problem have via boards .... but i see that the gigabyte is nvidia .........BTW did anybody ever try updating the mainboard bios and see ...i am trying to dl bios right now ..........oh and i have to agree that this problem is having me pulling out my hair :(