Damn OmegaSearch . . . Any Lawyers in here?

I'm seriously considering a class action lawsuit -_- ~ anyone want to join in?

-Bart

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Here's the corporate info:

C2 Media Ltd.
    Unit 12, 571 Finchley Road
    Hampstead, London, NW3 7BN
    <!-- / message --><!-- signature --><!-- sig --> United Kingdom

You can point your attorney to this website as testament to how many people this has negatively affected, and how difficult it is to remove.
  • edited May 2004
    Thanks. I'll keep you updated as to what he says.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    I doubt you will get very far. You would have to show quantifiable damages on your end, and eitehr neglect or malicious intent on their end. The problem is that Omegasearch is spread through "partners", people who seed Kazaa, or their own websites, etc, with the installers. The installer contains a "referrer id", which points to an individual, who receives some money from Omegasearch based on the number of hits generated with their individual referrer id. Omegasearch themselves do not officially condone illegal or illigetimate installations, so they would hide behind their referral partner. You'd have to sue that person, and you will likely never be able to obtain that information from C2 Media for privacy reasons. It's actually a pretty well thought out process that is difficult to pin in on the corporation, and makes it not worthwhile to sue the referrers, because they don't have enough money to make it worth your effort.

Dexter...
  • edited May 2004
    They create the software with exactly that intention though. Surely the law isn't stupid enough to fail at word games? Neglect would be easy if they state that it is not to be used for illegal purposes and every single one of their users had the program forced upon them, right?

more than that, their software is invading my privacy. Its sort of like having WalMart move their lingerie section into my basement or something. o_o

ALSO - for some reason - OmegaSearch keeps deleting my copy of NotePad. I have no idea what, but its made it so that I have to use wordpad instead. -_-
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    Hmmmm, that's not something we've seen before from Omegasearch. I suspect something else may be to blame here. Can you post a fresh HJT log?

Dexter...