Good dual monitor software?

edited May 2004 in Science & Tech
I want to be able to use my laptop as a second screen and I know there is software out that does this but have only found one so far. MaxiVista and so far i'm unimpressed. I'm using a 54 mbps wireless conection and it can't handle anything in 1024x768, even in 640x480 throughput sucks. Any other good software or a way I can check throughput of my 2 computers?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    What kind of video card are you outputting through? Is it all-in-wonder or some other Invidia card?

If so, then you should just use the software that came with your card, because it's very good.

If not, then I recommend that you go out and get an all-in-wonder card, because they rock :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    pushVTEC wrote:
    I want to be able to use my laptop as a second screen and I know there is software out that does this but have only found one so far. MaxiVista and so far i'm unimpressed. I'm using a 54 mbps wireless conection and it can't handle anything in 1024x768, even in 640x480 throughput sucks. Any other good software or a way I can check throughput of my 2 computers?

Um, lappies really were not meant to take video input and do just screen display for a second computer-- I hope this is not what you are trying to do as the BEST way to do this is TERRIBLY inefficient-- as you say, it will stink.... If teh Lappie and the computer doing the video feed are not both 54 GHz capable, then things will be squeezed in the network pipe. IF they are, you are still suing the main computer to gen two screens of data and part of the lappies processign time to process the video feed with the best way I know to do this, which is about what you have.

I am not knocking you, but what is needed to support this, unless your lappie has a hardware video in hooked to screen, will result in a lagging mess on the alppie screen because of what then has to be done on boht ends in software to do this exact thing.... Hardware is one heck of a lot faster, try 1.5X to 3X, by how it does it. Nice idea, but hardware tends to be faster by its nature than something with a software interpreter, and the machine loads will also affect this. Problem lies in the time it takes to translate back and forth to video on each end.

If I misunderstood what you said, please ask your question another way, and I will delete this, OK???

So far, I understand that you want to use the Lappie's builtin screen to display stuff from the desktop box, but video bus normally, for display purposes, is an output only pipe. All the support and translation stuff is offsetting your gain if any on network hookup. BECAUSE it is done with software.
  • edited May 2004
    Yeah they aren't hardwired together, it operates essentially like a netmeeting type deal. I know it isn't the best way to do it and the only reason I'm doing it this way is I don't want to spend money to get a second monitor to support this when I'll only use it when i'm programming. I was just surprised how slow it was, I mean i've had better results using netmeetings shared desktop over a 1.5 megabit line