cannot connect to steam server or ut04 server either

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited May 2004 in Gaming
i can get on aim and other things but game servers i cannot connect to, anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Firewall blocking you, router blocking you, virus using port your software wants to use to connect, or simple Sasser network load making connect so bad that games can't get through, at a guess. Would have to know ports needed to connect to and what port at your end to know more exactly. But, Microsoft's comment is that this is most commonlya firewall thing, even if it is just the internet connection firewall, which after the security packs needed to block Sasser and other things, defaults to ON. If you have doen recent security packing, your XP firewall got turned on, maybe (probably).

That is the most common set of reasons right now. Sasser.d is doing its best to syn-flood things on the web.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    my norton security trial just ran out and i just tried ch ecking my windows firewall and it said it was turned off, i tried turning it back on and it said "an error occurred while internet connection sharing was being enable. the dependency service or group failed to start."
  • edited May 2004
    Does it work on other computers on the same connection?
    edited May 2004
    i only have one pc to try it on
    edited May 2004
    im trying to think because steam worked last weekend but it doesnt work now, i dunno what i did
  • edited May 2004
    Would it be possible that your ISP is blocking some ports?
    edited May 2004
    how would i check that
  • edited May 2004
    Hmm... easiest way would be to call and ask.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2004
    If it worked last week can you you try a system restore to last week?
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited May 2004
    Just uninstall ANY firewall software you have installed. I would almost guarentee it is software firewall related.

I have seen numerous simalar issues be solved by 86ing software firewalls.
    edited May 2004
    i ran win update and they both started working... thanks for the suggestions though