I GOT HOSED AGAIN 249pts.

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited May 2004 in Folding@Home
I turned in another tinker last night at 8:00 and still have not received credit for it. That is 2 tinkers this week (almost 500 pts. ) that I did not get credit for. I am officially ticked off.

Who should I take this matter up with ? Or is there any point ?

Scott

Comments

• edited May 2004
    You should go to the folding community forums and post about this issue there. They will probably want you to post the server IP and the run/clone/generation of the wu you just turned in without any credit being awarded, as well as your folding name, the exact same way you have it spelled in the client. If they need more info like the fahlog, then post it also. As a matter of fact, save your fahlog showing the completion of the wu right now so it doesn't get overwritten.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    Just a thought, but is the client set to your username and team 93 by chance?
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Yes. In fact the wu were on 2 different machines. both have been folding for at least 6 months. The one that did not get credit last night was the one I started running as a service with Firedamon last week. but it has turned in several wu since and has received credit.

I will head over to FAH comm. forums.

Thanks

Scott

Hey Mudd , I saw the spelling mistake, sure picked a good word to misspell :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    Check your queue, too. A few weeks ago I had several machines that were not able to turn in WU's for a while.

You might also check the server status at Stanford - they have at least one server down right now.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    One of the wu's was in que for about 10 hours before it went but it did go. I posted at the folding community forum. It seems that several others have not received credit for the big Tinkers, so I am not alone. I am guessing Sunday is not a big day over there. No one has replied to my thread. But I also think I put it in the wrong place. I put mine Here and the others were Here Hopefully one of the mods will move it or read it.

Thanks guys

Scott
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    if your user id's are the same on both machines you will only get the credit once if you fold the same wu on both machines ...all of my machines once had all of the same user id's so I lost lots and lots of points over a few months time without ever realizing.

Do a regedit search for Folding@Home and find the UserID's on each machine and compare. If they are the same then stop the client ...remove the ID of one of them and restart the client ...a new ID will be automatically assigined.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    scott wrote:
    One of the wu's was in que for about 10 hours before it went but it did go. I posted at the folding community forum. It seems that several others have not received credit for the big Tinkers, so I am not alone. I am guessing Sunday is not a big day over there. No one has replied to my thread. But I also think I put it in the wrong place. I put mine Here and the others were Here Hopefully one of the mods will move it or read it.

Thanks guys

Scott

What might be happening is that admins have to hand-load points from increased point WUs sent out on some servers. The admins, Pande Group especially, tend to do family stuff on weekends. These folks are not full-time admins, most of them-- they are physical arena scientists first and foremost. The admin stuff is frequently done by grad students, and staff folks who give some time or are wearing multiple hats. In an utter emergency, Stanford staff IT folks intervene and notify the folding folks.

So the servers are monitored, but fine details get fixed mostly on weekdays, along with individual issues. Lots of the funding for the servers themselves is donations or incoem from folding other university's or institutions work on the folding distributed network. Stanford provides some bandwidth funding, some web server space, physical building, some network hardware, base infrastructure stuff.

The community forum for folding is like that, admins reply in their spare time and most often fix then say fixed and thanks fro letting us know about this, while figuring out how to stop whatever happened from keeping happening. By giving them logs, we give them troubleshooting details, if they get enough of that data they can get mroe permanent fixes done by seeing common problem areas.

Your post gave them two benefits-- first, they know you have an issue and it gets fixed, and second it goes in someone's notes. When the notes on one issue get to be enough that they break away from something else, they fix what caused the thing this time.

That is why we say post in the community forums. They have a post searcher there also, and the admins use it. If you use a topic like missing points or a topic that has that in it, then they will look at it at least 5 days a week-- oen reason for the forum is to let them get feedback on good and bad things, to take the temp of satisfaction and to get data to ID problems that slipped through a crack somehow. They do not want unsatisfied folders, because 97-98% of them are volunteer folders. So, expect your second missing WU's points to show up on Monday or Tuesday, and remember 8:00 AM on west coast is noon on east coast.

But do post, please, there and here, if you are missing points. If I see patterns here, there will be a PM to Vijay or another admin, and he knows I tell him patterns simply to get things fixed and am not mad and understand most of the time consuming detail work is done by volunteers there too. Others also do this, if major issues build up of many with same thing happening or huge-consequence things like my post there about my Prescott folding at half effectiveness for 18+ hours because the client and core and WU in one console of two running on the Prescott could not get it together.

They want to know this because they want it fair for all to fold, and to stomp on major things without making other things worse while fixing one thing. They need our feedback simply to know what is major, they collate things as well as fix details fast until the more major problem can get its cause isolated down to something definite enough to be fixed.

So you got your points for first WU, and second missing one will get points credited, I will bet a 99% bet on it. Actually, they are doing a dang good job, a poorer job would have posts from 1 out of ten (or more) of the approximately 327+ thousand folders folding worldwide who have turned in a WU in the last week....