What are we leaving out?

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited May 2004 in Community
Okay, I got a list together of everything me and Ego should take with us. Like always there is something that will be left behind, but I want to make sure we got everything covered. I broke the list down into sections and here it is. Please look over it to see if we are missing anything important.

AT the lan

Computers
Cat5 cable
headphones
surge protector
Pillows
covers
digital camera
camcorder
digital camera charger
Extension cord

For the trip

Bread
Ham/cheese
Drinks
snack cakes
cell phone
cell phone charger
cooler
ice

misc

clothes
money
directions

I want to make sure we have everything before we leave so it will be less stressfull.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Breathmints. Heh. Fo' serious.
  • edited May 2004
    A power strip. Prime and I assesed the situation, and we realised we're going to need something like 20 6-outlet power strips. We have a few we can bring, but ya know...
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    Don't forget the games. I didn't see that on the list anywhere.

Norge
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2004
    I am bringing a surge protector, it's got like 6 outlets on it. I counted the games in with the computers also, with the monitors and all.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Bring a bottle of Sundrop or dewdrop or whatever its called. I've never heard of it or tasted it. I want to try something from your homeland ;D
    edited May 2004
    Homeland? ;D

PUNY MORTAL, DELIVER YOUR SODA UNTO ME!
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited May 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    Homeland? ;D

PUNY MORTAL, DELIVER YOUR SODA UNTO ME!

Ahem.....pop.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    A case o' bawls? :crazy:
    edited May 2004
    Yes, McBain. It is in fact pop, but immortals don't hail from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, northern Ohio or Indiana. ;D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I plan on bringing my UPS. I know, it's heavy but all I need is a fryed PC because some guy down the line blows the curcuit breaker and leaves my PC smoke'n. Besides, I have seen other LAN's where some guy with the 1996 21" monitor turns it on and everyone else on that curcuit see's their system flicker from the sudden AMP draw. No me... Nice UPS and NO flicker, no surges, no problems....

-qch
    edited May 2004
    Regarding the UPS - Just found this...Office Max UPS deal
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    FYI: Most lan parties don't allow UPSs.

and for good reason.

A surge-protector should be enough to protect against surges.

You bring that UPS, and you'll be the one causing the flickers
    edited May 2004
    UPS causing Power flickers??? Never heard of that. Anyone else have a problem with me bringing a UPS?

-qch
    edited May 2004
    No, I have no problem with UPS'... I'm bringing two myself... I never heard of a small office UPS causing a power problem... :confused:
    edited May 2004
    I will be sure to bring some Sundrop just for you Brian. You will love it, it is soo good.
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited May 2004
    Clutch wrote:
    Please look over it to see if we are missing anything important.

I believe I also saw extension cords mentioned. My plan is to bring along a 25' 3-prong high gauge beast.
    edited May 2004
    Yea, extension cord is on the list. I just got done making the cat5 cable for me and Ego, got it from work so that was a FREEBIE :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    LANWAR (The event that Team Nexlia attends often) has this in the FAQ section about UPSes:
    1. Can I bring a UPS?
    No, No and Hell No. Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPSs) are absolutely not alowed at the event. UPSs draw substantial power and will blow a circuit. We then will find it (of course) and everyone around you on that circuit will know you broke the rules and took them down... Not a pretty sight. This also includes the UPSes built into an outlet strip.

So that's why CB and I naturally thought that UPSes would be taboo at the S-M LAN as well.
    edited May 2004
    I still want to bring them. We'll try them out. The building is commercial and has commercial-grade circuits. I've had multiple UPS' plugged into a single circuit and never experienced a single problem.
    edited May 2004
    I'm sure the LANWAR staff is just paranoid; they don't let you bring anything to plug into the power besides 2 things: Monitor and PSU. I doubt the UPS would actually cause any problems; at Deebe's or at LANWAR - the next LANWAR event is being held at the KY Exposition Center, so I'm sure there are fairly commercial-grade power circuits there as well. Then again, if all 1000 gamers brought UPSes (which really do have higher power requirements than just a power strip) we may be able to take even the KY Expo Center down... cool...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    I am bringing mine anyway. We just have to be careful how we start everything up thats all. Go down the line one by one so they are charged up. Then they wont draw anything more than whats needed.

My ups has 4 ports that are on battery/surge and 4 just on the surge.
    edited May 2004
    There's rewally no reason for it, we're just gaming, if something unfortunate happens to the power, then all we loose is a spot in a game.

They increase the risk of power loss for everyone who doesn't have one.

Thusly, I am still a staunch supporter of a no UPS rule. I don't thikn the LANWAR people are paraniod, I think that they are experience, we could do worse than to base our rules off of theirs.

CB's suggestion: monitor and PS only. No speakers, no periferals, and no UPS.

I'm not the one making the rules, so I certainly don't have final say, but I know a thing or two about power and I know a thing or two about LAN parties. You would be mightily hard pressed to convince me that any other set-up is a good idea.
    edited May 2004
    I wasn't planning on bringing a UPS because I was worried about my computer shutting off during a game - i'm bringing it because I have lost equipment due to dirty power, and power surges. Therefore I never plug my computer into a wall without some kind of power protection in front of it.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Well, people should go ahead and bring it if they want. If there are issues, we'll work them out.
    edited May 2004
    Why would you need more than a simple surge protector to protect against surges?

Do you have some reason to worry about the power in this place?
  • edited May 2004
    CBDroege wrote:
    Why would you need more than a simple surge protector to protect against surges?

Not just surges;

Blackouts
    Brownouts
    Overvoltages
    Electrical noise

These are things a simple surge protector cannot help with. Even most "surge protectors" are nothing more than a glorified power strip unless you buy them for $30 or more.

I for one plan on bringing my UPS. if there is a problem with running the UPSes, I'll switch to a simple power strip (which I will also bring along).

The fact is, everywhere I've taken my computer (including my own home) has experienced funky power related activities at one time or another. I have taken my PC to a home for over 2 months, and 2 days of which the UPS was "on battery" due to brownouts.

If anyone doesn't want to bring them, don’t. If anyone does want to bring them, do (and a regular power strip, just in case).
    edited May 2004
    I think the point we're trying to make is that the folks who run LANWAR have a lot of experience in throwing a LAN party (the next event is the 23rd LANWAR they've run with, a current registration of 1121 estimated attendees); they know what does and doesn't work. We're not trying to be asses about it, but we're more wondering whether it's wise to learn our lessons the hard way for throwing a first-time LAN party, rather than go with tried and true methods of running something like this.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited May 2004
    I don't get down to the states alot... how good is the Detroit area for honouring Canadian money? I'm not asking if they get on hands & knees and praise Jesus.. I just want to forgo the surcharge from my bank for exchanging money. BTW, what do people plan and calling each other down there? LOL Imagine what people in a bar will think using these arcane aliases. Then again, it is America....
    edited May 2004
    ;D
    I can see it now:
    GH: "Hey, DogSoldier, want a beer? It's on me!"
    DS: "Thanks, GHoosdum, that would be great"
    Bartender: "WTF!?!?"
    edited May 2004
    I guess the name tags will come in handy for something, haha