ATI determined to stay ahead

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Apparently ATI's follow up to the RV350 (RADEON 9600 series) is soon to hit the shelves, possibly as early as later this month. ATI also have the RADEON 9800 Pro's sucessor already drafted in, the somewhat un-inspiringly named R360 VPU should start to show its face in the second half of August.
After becoming the leader on the graphics processors market last year, ATI Technologies definitely wants to sustain its number one position further in all market segments.
The plans are totally unofficial and may be eventually adjusted in order to react on the situation on the market.

The full story:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030710162332.html

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Go ATI! NVidia can stay around to keep prices low, though.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    healthy competition is always good
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    ATI's new flagship product, the ATI Radeon 9900 Pro (R360-based), sporting 256 MB of DDR-II memory, running at a core speed of 420 MHz & a memory speed of 800 MHz should put the pressure on NVidia's NV35 lineup.

The R360 is not really a "core update" to the Radeon lineup, but just an improved production yield from the original R350 chips that is designed to work at frequencies higher than 400 MHz.

Looking forward to Q4 2003, there is going to be a huge battle between ATI & NVidia to see who gets their product out first for the holiday shopping season: ATI's R420 or NVidia's NV40?

Only time will tell... :)
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited July 2003
    Yum...

If the 9900PRO AiW has 256DDR-II, that would be just complete ownage. mmm I can taste it now...
  • edited July 2003
    It's things like this that remind me NOT to bother with a new vid card until Doom3/Half Life 2's release... or even a bit after, as the newest $500 cards that play these games very well at the time will be ~$200 not long after the next gen that replaces them.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    me and smj seem to have the exact same mentality...i mean doom3/hl2 will be graphical milestones, so ofcourse ATi and nVidia wanna put out as many awesome cards before these "milestones" The best thing to do is to sit down and wait until afterwards, when competition and prices would have cooled down a little+