Dilemma - Video Card

oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
edited May 2004 in Community
I really didn't have a good machine in which to use at the SM LAN so I needed to put together something in short order.

I'm going with a P4 2.8GHz 512 (DDR 400) system, which I'm currently running an ATI Radeon 9200 ($99). The performance of this card is acceptable for both BF1942 and UT2K4; however, on Halo it blows.

I'm wondering if I should take the 9200 back and get either the 9600 ($199) or the 9800 Pro ($249)? Once this event is over, I'm not sure how often I will actually use this system to game with.

Is Halo going to be a game that we play quite a bit?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
www.ocomik.net/blog/index.html

Comments

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Well, I have a feeling Halo will be played a bunch. I'm not sure whether or not you want to plop down the money for one considering whats coming out soon. You may want to

A) Save your cash for one of the new Uber cards if you plan on playing HL2, Doom3 etc
    B) Wait to buy it because its price will probably drop and you'll be able to get an XT for the same money prolly.

If you aren't going to use it very much after the LAN, I really wouldn't do it, I'd wait on something else (Assuming you are going to play HL2, Doom3)
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited May 2004
    pseudonym wrote:
    Well, I have a feeling Halo will be played a bunch. I'm not sure whether or not you want to plop down the money for one considering whats coming out soon. You may want to

A) Save your cash for one of the new Uber cards if you plan on playing HL2, Doom3 etc
    B) Wait to buy it because its price will probably drop and you'll be able to get an XT for the same money prolly.

If you aren't going to use it very much after the LAN, I really wouldn't do it, I'd wait on something else (Assuming you are going to play HL2, Doom3)

I'd also be willing to accept a loaner ATI Radeon card if someone was to offer. I'd gladly return it upon the completion of the festivities.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Ocomik
    edited May 2004
    lol, wellllll, depending on if my buddy comes, I'll have one free computer at the lan with a Softmodded 9500 in it, and I may not be at the lan for the full time due to some other issues. You'd be welcome to install your copy of Halo onto my secondary and play it, or play on my primary if I'm not there. Someone else may have a loaner for ya though. I'll keep you updated on my buddies status.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    9700PRO will blow all those away (well, cept the 9800pro)
    edited May 2004
    Just doing some quick research and there are quite a few people complaining about the port of Halo to the PC and that the slowdown issues are not greatly corrected with a higher end video card (newest ATI and Nvidia excluded).

Is everyone having to turn down the settings on their cards to play this game? I'm pretty much running the bare minimum to get it functioning somewhat smooth. I'm afraid that in a crowded firefight I'm going to be bogging down where the game will be unplayable.

Thoughts?

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
    edited May 2004
    oCoMiK wrote:
    Just doing some quick research and there are quite a few people complaining about the port of Halo to the PC and that the slowdown issues are not greatly corrected with a higher end video card (newest ATI and Nvidia excluded).

Is everyone having to turn down the settings on their cards to play this game? I'm pretty much running the bare minimum to get it functioning somewhat smooth. I'm afraid that in a crowded firefight I'm going to be bogging down where the game will be unplayable.

Thoughts?

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net

Yes, it is very heavy on systems. On my AMD 3000+, 400mhz FSB, 512 MB, 9800 Pro, I have to run it at 1152 or whatever to get it to run right. 1600x1200 is out of the question most of the time.
    edited May 2004
    pseudonym wrote:
    Yes, it is very heavy on systems. On my AMD 3000+, 400mhz FSB, 512 MB, 9800 Pro, I have to run it at 1152 or whatever to get it to run right. 1600x1200 is out of the question most of the time.

Broke down and purchased a 9800 pro... For the limited amount I play, I want the best experience possible...

It makes a world of difference for Halo...

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    awesomee!!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    No worries, Ocomik - that's what I did too - broke down and bought a 9800 Pro. :D