Why are high pingers killing me?

TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Gaming
So I play the HL with a consistent ping (well, when a WU isn't uploading) of 65 but these players with 150+ pings are lagging me so badly I can't hardly see them and thrashing me in the process. I always thought it was the other way around, having the low ping was an advantage, WTF?:hrm:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    HL ping compensation.

Sucks doesn't it?
  • diabx0rdiabx0r The 7th layer of friggin' hell (Bastrop, TX)
    edited July 2003
    Same way in Planetside... but it's WAY worse... Client side hit detection, BAD.... VERY BAD.

It get really annoying when I see someone about to shoot, and then I get behind a wall... AND THEN THE BULLETS START HITTING ME.

lol

And like when I aim at someone and shoot and they like disappear and reappear like 10 feet to the left of where they were, instantly.

God bless high pingers ;[;[
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    So that's it, ping compensation? I had never heard of that.:shakehead
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited July 2003
    I remember when a 150 ping was an awesome one...
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    I remember playing Quake I with 450 ping and thinking it was acceptable ;) Heck, I'd play anywhere that gave me sub-650.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    Anyone remember surfing the net with a 2400 baud mdoem and NCSA Mosaic on Windows 3.0? :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I remember when I got the internet in 1991.

I actually cancelled the account because nothing of importance existed. The end of the internet actually was findable.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    Thrax said

I actually cancelled the account because nothing of importance existed. The end of the internet actually was findable.

Your parents let you personally call their ISP and cancel the account when you were 5 years old?:thumbsup:

~FA
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited July 2003
    FoldingAddict said
    Thrax said

Your parents let you personally call their ISP and cancel the account when you were 5 years old?:thumbsup:
    ~FA

BAHAHAHA

Didn't you do normal stuff when you were 5 like, play outside with your friends? :wtf:

:wave::wave:
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited July 2003
    I can picture five year old thrax sitting in a dark dark room in front of his old IBM running dos or whatever you people ran way back there in the stone age.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    SimGuy said
    Anyone remember surfing the net with a 2400 baud mdoem and NCSA Mosaic on Windows 3.0? :D

pfff. i remmeber when i had a 14k modem, and i had to rely on AOL...not to mention i had a 386 gateway with windows 3.1, not even 3.11
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    FoldingAddict said
    Thrax said

~FA

HAHA! I had a similar reply to how he's only 15 or so ;)
  • diabx0rdiabx0r The 7th layer of friggin' hell (Bastrop, TX)
    edited July 2003
    FoldingAddict said
    Thrax said

~FA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... Screenshotting this baby. ;))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited July 2003
    My first online gaming experience was with Air Warrior on AOL. I loved it. Then they started charging per hour for it, and I realized just how gay AOL was.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited July 2003
    LOL, when I started playing TFC online I had 600-750 ping... Usually on the higher side of that range. Half-Life's netcode didn't have lag compensation back then, I dunno why I even thought that was fun.

TBonZ, get back on the server... Things are getting interesting, yesterday I was kicked for killing too many people.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Khaos said
    TBonZ, get back on the server... Things are getting interesting, yesterday I was kicked for killing too many people.

You were kick-banned? I've been gone on vacation for the last week. Fill me in on the whole story before I ask questions.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    SimGuy said

pfff. i remmeber when i had a 14k modem, and i had to rely on AOL...not to mention i had a 386 gateway with windows 3.1, not even 3.11

LOL!!! Ive got four words for ya:

AOL LESBIAN CHAT ROOMS

yup, those were the days.