photoshop question

robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
edited May 2004 in Science & Tech
I have this shot of me, but woud like to cut out the backgroung that the pic is only of me. Maybe even making the background transparent. I tried using the lasso tool and making a line around the part of the image I want to keep, where do I go from there?

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    Rather than the lasso, you shoud use the Pen tool to draw a path around your head. With the pen tool, you can adjust curves between points, add or delete points, move points around, etc. Then once you have a path you are happy with, yu convert the path to a selection, feathering the adges for effect if you like. Then cut the selection and paste it into a new document as a new layer, so that you can adjust the background beneath it. Here is a quick sample JPG. The path I drew was quick and rough, I didn't finesse the points perfectly, but you get the idea.

Dexter...
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
    edited May 2004
    That image looks great! only problem, is that it appears that you have cut out my arms. Any chance I could get you to touch that bit up? I would actually like to use that from myspace pic, if You don't mind!
    Dexter wrote:
    Rather than the lasso, you shoud use the Pen tool to draw a path around your head. With the pen tool, you can adjust curves between points, add or delete points, move points around, etc. Then once you have a path you are happy with, yu convert the path to a selection, feathering the adges for effect if you like. Then cut the selection and paste it into a new document as a new layer, so that you can adjust the background beneath it. Here is a quick sample JPG. The path I drew was quick and rough, I didn't finesse the points perfectly, but you get the idea.

Dexter...
    edited May 2004
    Well now, if I do it for you, what will you be learning....? ;)

Dexter...
    edited May 2004
    Here is one with the path drawn, I finessed the pen points a bit more, so you can just go the the path tool menu and create a selection from there. The second is the finished item, head on one layer, background on another.

Dexter...
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
    edited May 2004
    You're right. But if you don't mind, I would like to use the green one for my pic while I work on designing my own. Thanks for the help, man :thumbsup:
    edited May 2004
    Feel free, that's why I posted you the revised PSD's. If you have Photoshop questions, please feel free to post them in the Digital Media forum, that's where they best belong, and there are several users there who know PS well, and will be happy to help you.

Dexter...